Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:06 PM   #1

I have an Olympus E-10 that died on me a while back. Olympus has a flat rate of $219 to fix cameras. It was debatable if it was even worth fixing, but I sent it in anyway. When it came back it worked for a day or two and then died again, so I sent it in again. When I got it back that problem was fixed, but then I noticed physical damage - the viewfinder was broken. So I returned it again. They wrote back and said it wasn't covered under warranty, and I would have to pay $233 to fix it. I've spent over an hour arguing with them on the phone to no avail.

It doesn't surprise me at all that it came back broken because they used very cheap packaging when shipping it back. The box was barely large enough to hold the camera. The first time I saw the box my initial reaction was "Surely that can't be my camera", but it was.

Bottom line, I spent $219 to fix my camera and it was a complete waste of money. I will never buy from Olympus again. Their repair service is
terrible.

JRGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:03 PM   #2

wow, so your whole point is how you signed into this forum just to flame it because you got bad service....bravo, way to flex your internet muscle...now go away
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3

It was an easy cut-and-paste from the same post on the DPREVIEW site forum.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:22 PM   #4

EVERY company has both good and bad apples. Doesn't matter if it's Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Panasonic, etc. etc. etc. I used to deal with repairs, and it doesn't matter which company it is.

Don't talk to someone on the low end, ask for the repair supervisor. Tell them that was the way you RECEIVED IT back from service. Tell them you had to have it in twice for the same repair.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 1:22 PM   #5

If they shipped it back damaged, you should have called the shipper and put in a claim. UPS and Fedex would send some one out to look at the packaging and damage. You should had called Olympus and reported the damage to them. You have 24 hours to report a damage claim. Olympus should had shipped it back with insurance on it. They would be responsible to repair or replace the product.
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:58 PM   #6

As for checking it and making a claim, that is the main source of my problem. After sending it back twice for the same problem, all I could think of was making sure the problem was fixed. So I spent the next several days just turning it off and on and changing batteries over and over. It wasn't for several days later that I even tried to use the camera and found that something was wrong. Looking back, I suppose the first thing I should have done was check out the camera, but the shipping box looked fine. Actually, the more I think about it the more I suspect it was packed that way. Maybe the packer dropped it or something.

I already talked to the Corporate Manager and got no where. Now comes a letter, Clark Howard and BBB.

Stowawy7, it was actually an easy cut and paste to four different sites...

edge, What are you, the site police? This is a photography forum and this is about a problem with a camera. I didn't realize it had to be approved by Your Holiness first. Maybe you are the one who should go away you arrogant snob. At least the other people are trying to help instead of giving a smart answer.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:42 PM   #7

I would say you have some of the blame on you. I would have not waited days. First thing, inspect the package and make sure its packed properly. Second, check the product for any damage. It would have been worth shooting and testing. Olympus does not know when or how it was damaged. You could have dropped it after getting it back and not reporting immediately.

Did you contact the shipper to see if you could still file a claim?

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:51 PM   #8

You are right, there are probably a few things I could have done differently - and checking it right away is one of them. Like I said, after two attempts I had a one-track mind which was to make sure they fixed the problem. I can also see their point of view that how do they know I didn't just drop it or something. Although I also have talked to some people who think that is just a convient excuse. If you think about it, what are the chances that I send something in for repair twice, and then turn around and drop it and break it? And if you use that line of thinking, even if I had called immediately, how do they know I didnt' drop it taking it out of the package?

I don't know if there is any chance of calling the shipper at this point or not, although I guess is can't hurt. But its probably been 3-4 weeks by now and I don't have the original box or tracking numbers anymore. On top of that, I really don't think it was the shipper since I didn't see any physical damage. I think it was poor workmanship on their end - like the spot of solder I found on my lens when I got it back (which I forgot to mention).

Well, I'm going to try and go up the chain of command next week. Maybe I should have checked it better, but the fact is I spent $219 and have nothing to show for it but a broken camera.

The good news is I think I may be able to fix it myself. The viewfinder may have a crack, but that won't stop auto-focus (and maybe even manual) and I may be able to get $50-$100 on eBay.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:37 PM   #9

I have returned cameras to Canon. I pack them very well and expect them to return it in same packaging. I have one returned with the box damaged. I still put in a report in case of problems. I would call and ask what the repair warrenty is? They usually give 90 days. Tell them they did not properly repair it. You want a local rep to contact you to look at the camera.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:01 PM   #10

i just got back a 14-45mm kit lens that quit focusing totally, from the date i mailed it out to arriving today was 11 days. it arrived with a description of the problem and an added 6 month repair warranty. although it wasn't packed as well as i sent it out it was adequate to keep it safe. tested it as soon as i got it out of the box and funtions as good as new. i was able to track the lens through the whole process. all & all i am extremely pleased with the repair service. the only cost to me was shipping the lens to olympus.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote