Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:47 AM   #1
Mag

Well I am finally ready to jump into the SLR realm. I currently own the panasonic FZ20 witch i loved very much and have taken some nice pics. I wanted an SLR back when i bought it but i just didnt have the funds. I was quite suprised to see that olympus had a 8 MP DSLR with 2 lenses for 700.00. After researching for a few weeks it seems like a great deal, and a great camera. The thought of changeing lenses on a SLR was a concern from me all along before i even bought my fz20 even if cash was a problem, so the dust reduction appealed to me alot in the E500. The only thing that really concerns me is that im afraid im gonna miss the IS in the fZ20. Im hoping that the faster speed of DSLR will compensate for alot of this, I do have a nice tripod that I will probably use more now though. Its going to be quite a treat to have a dslr and being able to adjust exposure and various other settings through the dial instead of buttons, and an optical viewfinder which is live, not delayed like in electronic viewfinders. Any other big advantages of dslr besides those and changing lenses? I know ive got alot to learn and will enjoy the learning process very much. I ordered a 1 GB ritdata 150x compact flash card for 27.95, what a great price has anybody here tried it?

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:31 PM   #2

I also had a Panasonic and I do miss the image stabilization...but it's not really a big deal. Just have to pay a bit more attention to what I'm doing.

I got a portable monopod that collapses down to about 10" so I can carry it in my camera bag.

Go to the Weekly Photo Challenge board here and check out my picture of the waterbomber. I used the 40-150mm kit lens and a monopod.

The obvious big advantage of the DSLR is the bigger sensor which provides higher quality images. I just printed out that waterbomber picture at 8x10 and it looks beautiful. Not a hint of anything "digital". I've printed a dozen 8x10 images from the E-500 and they are all exceptional ("Suitable for framing" as the old saying goes).

Don't worry about changing lenses (unless you're a big slob ). I've probably changed lenses 50 times in the two+ months I've owned that camera. I can tell you that there is not one speck of dust on that sensor. Like I said, I just printed out the waterbomber picture at 8x10. It's got clear blue sky and pure whites cloud. I've looked at it under magnification and it's 100% blemish free. I used to do darkroom work and I NEVER had prints this clean. That SSWF really works.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:56 PM   #3
Mag

Thanx alot for reply Brent, Its nice to hear that the dust reduction sysyem has been working for you, I have et to hear anything bad about it which is good peace of mind. Your shot of the waterbomber is very empressive, especially at full zoom with a kit lens. I think a mono pod sounds like a good investment for times when a tripod just isnt manageable. Im really looking forward to trying out my e500 tommorow!

Best regards,

Mag
Old Jul 27, 2006, 1:25 AM   #4

The other two pictures I posted in the challenge ("All that Jazz") were also taken at maximum zoom (150mm).

I was actually using the monopod in a strange way. I was SITTING on the ground so I only had the monopod extended about 24". The fact that I was sitting had nothing to do with a special photo technique...it was hot, and I wasn't about to spend an hour standing in a field .
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 1:37 AM   #5

Just a note that if you get something sticky like pollen on the sensor, nothing will get it off but a manual cleaning. However for every day dust, the sensor cleaner works perfectly...there are E-1 users who have never manually cleaned the sensor in the three years they've owned the camera.

As for cards, just because it says 150x speed doesn't mean the camera will take advantage of that speed...of course it would be nice to find out if a cheap card can operate that fast in the camera (I just bought a $200 4gig Extreme III, and I love the speed it operates at). Here's how to do a test to see how fast the card operates at:
  1. Set the camera to the Sequential shooting mode.[/*]
  2. Shoot four RAWs (that is until the buffer fills). Each RAW has a size of 13797 KB.
    [/*]
  3. Measure the time the camera takes to write the four RAWs to the memory card. More specifically the time since the shutter was pressed and when all RAWs were written. [/*]
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 1:56 AM   #6
Mag

Thanx for info Mike. The ridata card claims 22MB per second read speed and 15MB per second write, granted it could be alot of bull, but for the price I thought it was worth a try. If it comes somewhat close to the claims I will be more than satisfied. I will try to measure speed, if i can get my hands on a stopwatch. Im getting camera tomorrow (if its in stock still)will pick up the cheapest card i can findin town for now, untill the Ridata card arrives by mail.

Best regards,

Mag
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:17 AM   #7

Hey Mike ~

Was that $200 for your 4-Gig Extreme lll a sale price? When I bought my E-500, a short while back, I also purchased a 2-Gig Extreme lll for $140 (but definitely would have shelled out the extra $60 for the 4-Gig, if the store had it - and for that price).

~ Just wondering.

________

Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:24 AM   #8

I checked B&H's current price before posting my reply...I'm actually in Canada where it's more expensive, I bought the 4g ExtremeIII for $339CDN ($299USD) but it's now dropped to $329CDN ($290USD).

I needed it in a hurry, and couldn't wait for it to be shipped across the border to be held up in customs...otherwise I would have bought it from the States (because of the greedy Canadian distributors who mark up the price too high.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Mag

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
As for cards, just because it says 150x speed doesn't mean the camera will take advantage of that speed...of course it would be nice to find out if a cheap card can operate that fast in the camera (I just bought a $200 4gig Extreme III, and I love the speed it operates at). Here's how to do a test to see how fast the card operates at:
  1. Set the camera to the Sequential shooting mode. [/*]
  2. Shoot four RAWs (that is until the buffer fills). Each RAW has a size of 13797 KB.
    [/*]
  3. Measure the time the camera takes to write the four RAWs to the memory card. More specifically the time since the shutter was pressed and when all RAWs were written. [/*]

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:22 PM   #10
Mag

I tested my ridata card the results were 9.45MB sec write speed. The test was done as follows. I shot in RAW and burst mode, manual focus, 1/1000sec shutterspeed, lwith lens cap on. I measured the time the red write light came on to the time the red light went off 4 raws @ 13.47MB each equaled 5.7 sec.

4 RAW @ 13.47MB each = 53.88MB

53.88 diveded by 5.7 seconds = 9.45MB/Sec write speed

If this performance continues with out any misshaps I will be ordering the 4GB model for $85.00.

Best regards,

Mag