Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:11 AM   #1
oel

I'm not a Newby to Oly's (C andSP series user),but I'mnew to theDIG/SLR line with my new E 500.

I have XD cards already, and I am wondering what I would gain by using a CF card??

This forum has been a wealth of great info for me ...

Thanks all
oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:56 AM   #2

throughput.

seriously, the XD cards are extremely slow at reading and writing especially, CF cards are fast..the new Sandisk Extreme IV is 40 Mbs transfer rate, the Extreme III is 20 Mbs, whereas a XD card has a transfer/write rate between 1.3 and 3.0 Mbs...that's a serious difference
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3

Just for comparison, if I took four RAW pictures on the E-500 (the max it can shoot at once until the buffer fills up) with an Olympus xD card it can take up to 59 seconds to write the pictures (depending on which xD type).

To write the same four RAW pictures with a Sandisk Extreme III it would take as little as 6 seconds!

That's 53 seconds difference.

If I shot with JPEG, I can keep on shooting with the Extreme III and never fill up the buffer, the Extreme III is that fast.

No word if the Extreme IV will be any faster in the camera or not (the Extreme III is rated faster than the camera can write to the card).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:04 AM   #4
oel

Thanks for the info, It looks like a good CF card will be added to my want/need list
oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:57 AM   #5

hi, been following this site for awhile, this is my first reply but have been taking pics for quite awhile. edge & mikefellh are right the compact flash card speed is much faster for writing, other side benefits this will give you is increased battery life due to camera processor not having to run as much and significantly faster download of pics to computer. Just remember there are slow CF cards too, make sure you check the read/write speed before buying or your not gaing anything. also it depends alot what type of shooting you do with the camera if your not shooting burst or taking fast single frames your xD cards may be fast enough for you. for example i was taking pics at a motorcross race last night and had none of my fast cards with me. in my e-500 i had a xD type M(exteremly slow)& slow PNY CF loaded, burst was all but impossible to try and catch key moments in the racedue to processing of images just taken, so i just kept it on single frame and settled for less shots. hope this will add to the great info edge & mikefellh gave you.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:15 PM   #6

While this may not be an issue for you at the moment (seeing as you already have xd cards) the cost of CF are way cheaper per gigabyte than xd. They also offer far more storage space than the xd which, to my understanding, peaks out at 1 gig.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote