Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:27 AM   #1

Hi everybody, I'm interested by a e500 camera. I'm asking myself to buy the 2 lens kit or the 18-180mm lens. Could you advise me ?. Thank's
QUANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:12 AM   #2

Just my opinion but unless the extra 30mm (60mm equivalent) offered by the single lens is a necessity, I'd opt for the two lenses. I would prefer to have the wider aperture available at full zoom (4.5 @ 150mm vs. 6.3 @ 180mm) to better blur backgrounds. Again that's just my shooting style. I own the 40-150 and am impressed by the results for a kit lens. Besides, now else are you going to test the SSWF! Hopefully someone with the 18-180 will chime in with their 2 cents.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:54 AM   #3

I atree, the amount of light that the 180 takes in compared to the 40-150 is much less. You will have a lense that is practically unusable for long distance shots unless you use a tripod.

For avery f-stop difference 2.8,3.5,.... you double the amount of light... meaning you can "halv" the exposure time meaning less time to blurr. I highly suggest the two lens kit, you won't regret it. Its worth the extra cash. The f6.3 is pretty poor.

The 18-180 is a tradeoff trying to compete against the point and shoot 10x type cameras.

adamwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:04 AM   #4

Many thanks for your 2 advices. I will choose the 2 lens kit and I will keep the price difference for a good CF card. I am very glad to join this forum.
QUANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:30 PM   #5

Hey QUANA. I own a 330 and it's fantastic but there is a BUT. Save your money on the kit lenses. Use that money towards Olympus' 14-54mm zoom -- the one that comes with the e-1. the 14-45mm that it comes with is junk. Pure soft-focusing junk. It's good upto about 15 feed and then you get no sharp edges on anything. I tried a second lens at the dealer to see if this was a problem with the individual lens and it was the same. I tested the 14-54mm and what a wold of difference. Use the money to buy something worthwhile. The camera body is fantastic. This line of olympuses are fantastic(the 330 and 500 use essentially the same sensor but the 330 has live view and a little less resolution). I'm not bashing the camera. I wouldn't trade my 330 for anything right now (well, maybe an e-1 although more resolution would be nice there too). Just buy a good lens. Then if you want a cheap zoom go buy a Sigma or save for a really good Zuiko. My two cents.

sparklite is offline   Reply With Quote