Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:48 AM   #11

stowaway7 wrote:
Quote:
Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:

We sometimes hear the old cliche that it's photographers that make great pictures and not cameras.
I'm sure if Ansel Adams were around today and someone handed him an old Kodak Instamatic or Polaroid Swinger (am I dating myself or what) he's time a creative way to make a great image.
Ansel Adams? Hmm, not so sure given his tastes. Maybe Gary Winogrand or Emmit Gowin.

(Emmit Gowin: Edith and Ruth, Danville, Virginia, 1966)

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:18 PM   #12

I am having the same problem. I shoot a fair amount of low light stuff in cathedrals and would like to have anti-shake but the Olympus E system doesn't have it yet. The Panasonic L1 will have it but at a very much greater price, especially if you buy the Leica zoom lens for it.

I would also like to use my Contax SLR lenses, particularly a shift lens i really love. and 4/3 is good for that.

I recently looked at the new Pentax K100D, which has anti-shake and is very light. It will take Pentax lenses not just new ones. But I cannot use my Contax lenses with it. Still it is very appealing at $699 with a zoom lens. I took some shots with an older Pentax Digital and was impressed.

So, trade-offs and decsions.
sgparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:58 AM   #13

stowaway7 wrote:
Quote:
I'll agree if nigelm is moving into the DSLR world that the E-500 offers more user-friendly menus and scene modes (the E-1 has none of the latter) but the MP race is something I've tried to avoid. Last year Nikon, a recognized industry leader, chose to upgrade it's "pro" model D2H to the D2Hs..designed for the photojournalist & sports photographer. Built like a tank and currently selling at B&H (body only) for $3079 USD. Sensor size? 4 MP (OK, 4.1).
OK, but let's look at it from another perspective: Where will the MP race end? In 10 years are we going to be seeing 50MP cameras? 100MP cameras? Or is there some natural end to increasing megapixels that will result in a ceiling for DSLRs? If there is, then where is the evolution of DSLR cameras headed, i.e what features and abilities will be selling points 10 years from now? If 12MP is the limit, I could be happy with an 8MP camera for the next 20 years, regardless of the bells and whistles that are added. If more is better, then I will have to reconcile myself to upgrading my camera every few years like I do a computer, even though I don't upgrade my computer as often as many folks. Of course, a camera that can shoot 100 12MP images per second would sure be nice. Ever see some of the high-speed photography of bullets being fired from a gun?
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:42 AM   #14

Quote:
In 10 years are we going to be seeing 50MP cameras?
There's already 22mp medium format backs, so 35mm sized and smaller have some way to go. :G
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:38 PM   #15

jimkurta wrote:
Quote:
Ever see some of the high-speed photography of bullets being fired from a gun?
Those, I believe, were a product of high-speed strobes and were being done long before digital, but your point is well-taken. In 10 years the "oohs & aahs" we utter over today's latest and greatest may look rather foolish. But even today I can still slap a cassette in my Walkman and listen to it. It has survived the CD and ipod; not as good but still good enough.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:45 PM   #16

stowaway7 wrote:
Quote:
Those, I believe, were a product of high-speed strobes and were being done long before digital, but your point is well-taken. In 10 years the "oohs & aahs" we utter over today's latest and greatest may look rather foolish. But even today I can still slap a cassette in my Walkman and listen to it. It has survived the CD and ipod; not as good but still good enough.
Strobes and high-speed film, at several hundred or thousands of frames per second. There is also the possibility that the technology, specificaly megapixel quality may soon exceed what can be discerned by the human eye. I remember that happened with stereo equipment and THD (total harmonic distortion), yet people would still pay big bucks to buy equipment that was beyond what they could hear. Could that also happen with DSLRs for the general consumer market. Granted, there will probably always be some scientific or engineering application for a 500MP camera, such as astro or micro photography where a very small area of the exposure needs to be extremely enlarged. But will there ever be such a need in the consumer, artistic or photojournalist market for such a camera outside the extremely large format market? I've never taken a picture using an 8 X 10 negative, and probably never will. I was never really into automatic cameras either, prefering to control f stops and shutter speed myself. Where does that leave us in terms of features that we will really use? One of the few I can think of would be 4th or 5th generation night vision, built into the camera. Other than that or several images per second I can't think of anything I would need or want. For what it's worth, I still have my Walkman, too. Seldom use it, but it's there when I need it--AM, FM, VHF-TV and cassette.
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:13 AM   #17

Thanx for the opinions guys. I went for the E-1 in the end - handling and build over pixels.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Nigelm
nigelm is offline   Reply With Quote