Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 14, 2006, 9:23 AM   #11

As an "old school" photo guy, I'm really now only getting used to using a zoom as my walkaround lens. I don't know the ages of you other fellas. I'm 48 so I got into photography in the days (early 1970's) when there was virtually no such thing as a zoom that went from wide angle to medium telephoto.

But, for my type of photography, I'm finding the 14-45/14-54 type lens indispensible. I'm doing at lot of picture taking at car shows and outdoor festivals this summer. These are all crowded with people. At these kinds of events, I don't have the luxury of the time required to move myself around so that I can frame the subject properly.

When I was at the car show on the weekend (400 cars/50,000 people) I observed a lot of people with fixed focal length lenses trying to position themselves 20 feet away from the vehcles to frame the pictures. Of course, if you're at an event with 50,000 people, you can't expect folksto stay out of you field of view for very long. Some poor photographers were just standing there with looks of obvious exasperation on their faces.

With the versatile zoom, I found I could plant myself in a spot and frame and photograph any car in about 2 seconds. Of the roughtly 150 pictures I shot at the car show, only 2 were slightlyinterupted by people unexpectedly entering the frame.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:39 AM   #12

Mine is the 14-54. I also have the 50mm f2.0 macro, but the 14-54 is more versatile. However, the sigma 30mm 1.4 is also now out here in Japan, so I may give it a bit closer look.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:30 PM   #13

I have a three lens set up and use the 7-14 and 50-200 Zuiko's all the time, but only after I see I can't do what I want to do with the 14-54 Zuiko. It's combination of size,speed and wide to moderate tele capability is hard to argue against.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:28 PM   #14

Interesting that in this discussion of lenses no one has mentioned carrying a teleconverter with them.
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:39 PM   #15

OK, I'll mention it since I've used it. The Olympus EC-14 is the only teleconverter you should use with the camera, the type that goes between the lens and the body; don't think about using one of those screw-on teleconverters that screw on like a filter on the end of the lens, it will wreck your lens especially if you're using one of the kit lenses where the lens moves in and out of the lens housing. The EC-14 multiplies your current lens by 1.4 times.

Personally though, for long shots I use an OM 80-200mm lens that I picked up cheap with an OM 2x teleconverter, giving me a minimum of 160mm without the OM 2x teleconverter, to 800mm with the OM 2x teleconverter. I prefer to use the OM lens though for those times where I have the time to think of each shot...it's not something I'd use for action photography or at a parade where the autofocus would be a benefit.

I'm planning on buying the EX-25 tube adapter though for some closeup photography...I still have to do some reading on magnification of using the tube adapter with the various lenses I own (including the OM) compared to buying the 35mm macro lens.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:41 PM   #16

I think that the lenses today have such a wide range of coverage that a teleconverter doesn't have the appeal that it had "back in the day".

You figure that the Oly kit lenses run from 28mm to 300mm (35mm equivalent). Well, if you need more than 300mm, you're likely going to want to use a tripod. So once you start carrying around a teleconverter, you probably end up carrying around a tripod. There goes the "walkaround lens" idea because you'll be dragging your complete gadget bag with you.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:21 AM   #17

As you can see by my avatar I used to use a C-700, and even with the 38-380mm (equivalent) lens I wanted more...I had both a 0.66x for more wide angle, and a 2.2x for more tele, and I admit I did use the 2.2x on sunny days (when I could optain a 1/1000th shutter speed for handheld shots, and even dared to try a few with the digital zoom added as well to give 2257mm even though the max shutter on the C-700 was 1/1000.

Actually, I know someone who has all of the long Olympus lenses, and he has to use a golf cart to walk around with them.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:41 AM   #18

You can go for longer lenses if the are light and you accept some waste. The attached is taken with an old Tamron mirror (as you can see on the bokeh) 350mm lens with fixed aperture f5.6 and manual focus (can do macro as well): shutter speed of 1/640 (I forgot to change to ISO 200) - the photo is taken at a small, partly overgrown stream not far from my home and I can't get any closer to the dragonflies without getting very wet.

I don't mind manual focus on the old OM lenses, but it is difficult to do on an e-300 viewfinder.

Attached Images

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote