Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:05 AM   #1

Just curious what everybody uses as their workhorse lenses?

Thanks
Mike
Reef Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:38 AM   #2

Honestly, this may be a very unpopular answer but I find that the 14-45 kit lens is probably the lensI find most versatile.

Today, I took ANOTHER 150 or so pictures with the 14-45. And I LITERALLY walked around for three hours with that camera (E-500) around my neck. I went to another car show today. It looked like it was going to be a hopeless outing. The day started off with severe thunderstorms and I put the camera in a plastic freezer bag in case the rain came again.

I knew I would need something that would be usable at a wide angle. The way people crowd around at car shows, I have to be able to get in real close. The skys were gray and I was not at all optimistic. I anticipated a lot of bad exposures and dull images. For some reason, I keep finding my subconcious influenced by the 14-45 haters. I saw a thread over at dpreview calling the lens "worthless". I should know better...the lens has been terrific for for me.

So I walked around for all those hours. The lens is nice and light. EVERY exposure was perfect. EVERY image was perfectly focussed. Colors were vibrant in every image. Every one a keeper.

This picture was taken at that show today...you can still see some water on the street. Bad conditions. Dull flat Lighting. And another damn fine performance from the 14-45.

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:52 AM   #3

14-45mm here too. I've actually got to try most of Olympus' line of lenses including the big ones like the 90-250mm, small ones including the 7-14mm, and the 14-54mm and 50-200mm lenses, and I'm still sticking with the kit lenses as my favorite.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:00 AM   #4

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
For some reason, I keep finding my subconcious influenced by the 14-45 haters. I saw a thread over at dpreview calling the lens "worthless". I should know better...the lens has been terrific for for me.

Nice picture, Brent. I own the 14-54 and use it most of the time, but by no means think the 14-45 is worthless. I've seen some great results. OK, it you're a spec junkie you can talk about it vs. the 14-54 (edges, barrel distortion at the wide end etc.) but for everyday shooting FOR THE PRICE the images are great. I've had a chance to handle other manufacturer's kit lenses. They don't come close to matching the build quality of the 14-45.

For walkaound I also use the 35mm macro (about $200 USD). It makes a great "normal prime" and is so small and light it makes that walk pleasant.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:48 PM   #5

I also use the kiet lense, but I seem to be drawn to the 18-54 lense. I donno, maybe I am suffering from kit lense stigma.

I like the lense b/c it is very light, but I may get the other lense just to try it out. Do you guys think its a worthy upgrade, or should I save my money for a different lense..

Mike
Reef Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:22 PM   #6

For comparison,one with the 14-54 (E-1):

Attached Images

Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:27 PM   #7

And one for Brent (you mentioned a '68 Triumph in another post, I'm sure this is 70's vintage):

Attached Images

Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:45 PM   #8

Ah yes...my car is the TR250...the "almost TR6". In fact, the car I drive was known as the TR5 in England. My car has the engine of the TR6 with the body of the older TR4. In 1968, Triumph was set to introduce the new TR6 sports cars but the bodies were not ready although the new 6 cylinder engines were already in production. So Triumph took the new engines and put them in TR4 bodies (the TR4 was a 4 cylinder car). So, for one year only (1968 ) Triumph produced 8,484 half-and-half cars: part TR4, part TR6.

BACK ON THE LENS TOPIC: I do expect to get the 14-54 one day but I have a rather round' about idea of obtaining one. Having had my E500 for about 3 months, the only lens I've purchased to supplement the kit lenses is the 50mm F2 macro. Here's is what I'm hoping. I'm hoping that Olympus announces a new pro camera soon (Photokina?). If that happens, it possible that they might kit it with the 14-54 since I think that combo was available for the E-1 and E-330. My theory is that I should put my current resources to some other lenses and wait for a year or so and see if there is something like an E-3 (?) and 14-54mm kit. Being in Canada, I know that getting the 14-54 as part of a kit can save me a couple of hundred bucks.

But, if there is no forthcoming camera announcement, I will likely bite the bullet and pay full price for a 14-54.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:11 AM   #9

or...you could sell your E500 body and buy the 14-54 with it and spend your saved loonies on the new body:-)

i hope they have a new body coming out as well, i really don't use all of the program modes, so they're superfluous...i'm a manual guy
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:02 AM   #10

My walkaround lens is either the 14-45 or - probably equally often - the 35mm macro - the latter is used for the attached picture. I like fixed lenses as they force me to move more around and then think a bit more before I take the picture.

Attached Images

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote