Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:28 PM   #1

Hi all

I finally bit the bullet and ordered an E1 + 14-45mm lens today. I've been learning with my Pana FZ10 for the last 2 years and had been looking to get the Lumix L1 but I'm going to give version 1 a miss for now. I'm planning to upgrade the lens to the 14-54mm and then basically stick to using that with the E1 and use my FZ10 for long range stuff.

Now what I'd like to know is what are the best settings for the E1 - does it over or under expose ? What colour settings do you need to set for say contrast, sharpening, etc etc. Are there any known problems and say weakness that have workarounds. Any help with this will be really appreaciated.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:49 AM   #2

Good plan on the 14-54 upgrade. Also, look to the 40-150. Low cost (on ebay for a song) and I'm very pleased with mine (see the post aboutsaid lens in this forum). Everyone setsan E-1differently. If you're shooting RAW it really doesn't matter. For JPEG, I'll tell you what works for ME (not an overall endorsement). Sharpness +1, contrast 0, saturation +1. I don't boost any of the colors, use sRGB color space, noise filter & reduction off (I use Corel Paint Shop for this). I also, in most cases, engage the setting that will not allow the camera to fire unless focus lock is confirmed.

Happy shooting!

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:48 AM   #3

As Stowaway mentioned, I use RAW 100% of the time so settings like sharpening, contrast, etc, etc, don't really matter...I just leave those at the factory pre-sets and adjust later. I have noted in certain situations the E-1, when used in ESP metering can underexpose, especially landscapes if I include too much sky. For that reason I tend to use centerweighted metering most of the time, and spot in some cases where I really want to narrow the scope of what gets measured- mainly indoors.

I also have my flash compensationset to a base of+1/3 stop as the default flashsettings tend to look a little underexposed to me too.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:50 PM   #4

Ditto on the flash info, Greg. I use the FL-36 and dial up a +1/3 on the flash so the camera remains neutral; same result though.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 4:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the info and tips guys. I haven't decided on whether to shoot RAW or go for SHQ and thats why I was wondering about the camera setup.

The camera arrived at work today and I have to say I'm very impressed with the build quality, ergonomics and weight of the E1- much better than an E330 and D200 which I had a look at a couple of weeks earlier. As I had not been able to get a hands on feel of the E1 prior to recieving it today I had though there were too many buttons on the camera but Oly proved me competely wrong ever button just seems to eb in the right place. The OVF is a joy to use - esp after using the EVF on my FZ10. The shutter noise is nearly perfect esp compared to the D200 which is just shockingly loud. The only weak point for me at the moment is the 14-45 kit lens that I got with the E1. I'm going to replace this asap as its just way to slow (been spoilt by the FZ10's lens) with the 14-54mm. If the Leica D was available I'd snap that up in a jiiffy.

Cheers

HarjTT

PS.

Time to read the manual and play around with the cam.

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote