Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:27 PM   #1

Am new to SLRs hence hoping you folks are understanding in case this is really a silly question.

I currently have the 2 lens kit and my zoom needs are adequately met for the moment. what i would like to have is better wide angle.

Would a wide angle converter (i presume this needs to be screwed on in the front of another lens) meet my needs ?

would this in anyway affect the autofocus ?

thanks in advance.

sh@rpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:38 PM   #2

You shouldn't use screw-on converter lenses on dSLRs, especially with lenses that extend out from the lens housing...the extra weight of the converting lens will cause extra wear on the gears and motor, causing damage to the lens.

The only type of converter you should use with the E-system are the type that goes between the lens and body, like the EC-14 teleconverter, and the EX-25 extension tube for closeup photography.

Anyway, here's the list of lenses that are currently or soon will be available:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/lenses.html

Also click on the "Other Articles" link while you're there to learn more about your camera.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:55 PM   #3

As Mike said, never add a screwon adapter lens to the front of a dSLR lens, particularly one that extends like most of the Olympus lenses. Besides, getting top optical quality is one of the attractions of DSLRs, so why would you want to spoil the native quality of your dSLR's lens (particularly since the 14-45 has only borderline quality at its wide end to begin with)? If you want to go wider than 14, you'll basically have to go either with the 11-22 or the 8mm fisheye, or the 7-14 zoom. The 11-22 is loved by many Oly owners as an excellent wide walkaround lens, while the 8mm has typical fisheye effects and the 7-14, while rectilinear, is quite expensive (about $1500 here in Japan).

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:26 AM   #4

Thanks a lot folks, I think i get the idea.. let me see how much of a wide angle i really need and then take it forward from there
Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:44 AM   #5

Well, the 11-22mm can go up to 89 degrees, the 7-14mm can go up to 114 degrees, and the 8mm fisheye is 180 degrees.

For the record, 14mm of both the 14-45mm & 14-54mm is 75 degrees.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:02 AM   #6

has anyone treid the old OM 28mm primes with teh E500/300/330 ? i guess a OM/Eseries adaptor would be required and autofocus is out of question. but what I am interested is in its performance compared to the 14-45..especially for portraits

Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:48 AM   #7

ok read the recommended link ie

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/lenses.html

in case it is not sacrilege..can Nikor/pentax et al be used with suitable adaptors (albiet manual focus) with effective results.

my question may be a bit in the thorretical space here..and hope u folks do not get annoyed with these rather "amateurish questions"
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:40 AM   #8

The page http://www.cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm (mentioned in the Wrotniak article) sells adapters including Nikon/Nikkor and Pentax (bayonet and screw mount).