Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:14 AM   #1

I took a few test shots using my E1 + 14-45 yesterday and all were inside and taken in Manual mode and at ISO400-800 and were taken between 1/30-/100 and f3.5-5.6. The image preview on the LCD looks just fine but when I opened the files on my mac and pc in photoshop they're completely underexposed, near enough black. I know its partly due to the low available light, the quality and speed of the 14-45 lens but what setting should I have the LCD set to so that its showing near enough what will be really seen on a computer.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 9:17 AM   #2

i have my screen brightness set in the middle, but have noticed that in low light the screen is much brighter that the image when looked at on pc. its noticed more with night shots......i tend to bracket and take plenty of shots

id look at settings the camera says for the shot on auto and then turn to manual with a similas set of settings, sounds like the speed was too high
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:46 AM   #3

dear harjtt,

great photos but i am alo suffering from about 10% underexposed indoors
Peter Cercone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 7:07 AM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
The image preview on the LCD looks just fine but when I opened the files on my mac and pc in photoshop they're completely underexposed, near enough black...what setting should I have the LCD set to so that its showing near enough what will be really seen on a computer.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
Been there...Since the E-1 doesn't share the latest technology used in 2.5" to 3" LCD's on most DSLR's these days I'm afraid it is what it is. Even my little point-&-shoot (a Nikon) suffers from the same affliction (only worse). First, I rarely shoot indoors at 1/30...that's about the time I get the flash out. I have adjusted the LCD brightness on my E-1 however, calling up a screen shot of an underexposed photo on my computer, holding the camera next to it with the same photo on it's LCD and adjusting the camera until they're as close as possible.I record the setting and revert to it when shooting in low-light (I need it brighter outside to see the LCD in sunlight).

One point to mention is that any LCD display (especially a 1.8") is not designed as a substitute for good exposure techniques. Back in the film days we had NO review capability but still had to make it work.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote