Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:36 PM   #1

I took my new E1 and 14-45 out today for the first real snapshots. The question that I have now is whats the sweet spot for this lens and is it generally quiet soft? A lot of the images that were taken with the E1 look soft to me even after applying a wee bit of USM - exposure, WB and the colours are spot on. I'm planning to upgrade the lens as soon as I can to the 14-54 or if I could wait to the Leica D 14-50.

I'll post a few sample shots as soon as I can.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:30 AM   #2

I now have both the 14-54 and the 14-45 lenses, and I took photos with both of them. I took an identical shot from the tripod with both lenses at the same f-stop and exposure. The focal length for both was 30mm. I swear there is no difference. I showed the developed images to many people and they couldn't see it either. The soft shots are probably a result of your settings on the camera rather than the lens. I really believe that both lenses are equaly sharp.

There is some difference with the distortion at 14mm (the 14-54 is better). And the 14-54 is simply better built, faster, quieter and takes in more light.
adamwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:35 AM   #3

Interesting thing regarding the two 14- lenses having just bought the EX-25, the 14-45mm can use the range from 25-45mm, but the 14-54mm can only use 54mm and focusing isn't possible at any other setting.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:35 PM   #4
Mag

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Interesting thing regarding the two 14- lenses having just bought the EX-25, the 14-45mm can use the range from 25-45mm, but the 14-54mm can only use 54mm and focusing isn't possible at any other setting.
I just ordered the EX-25, and have the 14-45 and 40-150mm kit lenses and e500. Do you have any pictures using the ex-25 with either of these lenses? I would love to see some results.

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote