Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2006, 2:35 AM   #1

Hi Guys, i recently bought an FL40 off Ebay and it seems to work just fine (exposures etc are all very good) but, the focus assist light dose not come on at all in any conditions i've tried. Any suggestions? I may well be doing something wrong here....... wouldn't be the first time! Cheers ;-)
davEyboy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:16 AM   #2

What camera??!?!??

The FL-40 ISN'T compatible with the E-300, E-500, E-330 (sort of compatible with E-1). You can use it in manual and auto modes with those cameras, but not TTL mode, and the focus assist beam won't work.

It's really a C-series flash, although it also works with E-10, E-20, and E-100.

With the new E-system cameras they updated the TTL features and TTL "language" and that's why those features won't work. If you own one of the newer E-system cameras the FL-36 or FL-50 are 100% compatible and adds features like FP-mode (focal plane mode, allows you to shoot faster than 1/180th of a second) and more zoom capability.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:35 AM   #3

Rather basic question but have you verified information on theFL-40menus? My FL-36 has a setting to turn the AF illuminator on or off.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:19 AM   #4

Good question Mike, i use an E1 camera with the flash.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:27 AM   #5

Thanks Stowaway, but i can't see anything in the menu settings or hand book about the focus assist light! In his book QLYMPUS E-SYSTEM Frank Spath states that the FL40 supports almost all automatic functions of the E1 flash mode, but FP ultra high-speed synchronization.... Maybe he forgot to mention the focus assist ;-)