Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:32 AM   #1

just got my new evolt. it is been great so far, pics r exelent. still have to learn howto process raw file. anyhow, can any one tell me how to focus lock on this camera? i do alot of night photography. i want to be able to at least try to focus an object then use manual focus to fine tune it. on other slr. i usually focus then turn off auto focus to fine tune it . thx for ur help
kingkongva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:16 AM   #2

By pushing the AF button and turning the wheel, you can get different focus modes:

- SF Focuses once when you half-press the shutter
- SF+MF Focuses once when you half-press the shutter, but if you continue to half-press the shutter you can turn the focus ring.
- MF You can turn the focus ring whenever the camera is on.
- CF Continually adjusts for focus while you half-press.

Personally, if I'm doing something that is always at the same distance I'll half-press to lock focus, and then switch the camera to manual focus.

The E-500 also has the AEL/AFL button which I don't have on my E-300.

Since you're new to the E-500 you may also want to check out:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:23 AM   #3

hey mike, thx for the reply. i guess that i could goto the menue and switch the focus to manual mode but it is alot of hassle. other dslr, all i need to do is to push a switch on the lens to turn af off. is it possible to rename certain function of the key to do a 1 step button to make it into manual focus?the problem is that once i focus an object under ap mode, if i dont switch focus to munual then when i push the shutter button, the af will attempt to refous it again. any ideas?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:30 AM   #4

You DON'T need to go into the menu...just push the button labeled AF and turn the wheel.

Also, read up on changing the function of the AEL/AFL button to auto focus lock...as I wrote I don't have that on the E-300 and it may do what you want.

p.s. Drop the Evolt name, just say E-500 (as in North America both the E-300 and E-500 have the Evolt moniker and it may confuse otherwise).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:45 AM   #5

got it. thx a bunch