Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:23 AM   #11

Thank you very much for this comment. It sure set me on the road to understanding this stuff correctly.

If this presents itself, ''...if the processing is not pleasing, it's difficult if not impossible to correct.''

But I was thinking the''instant playback'' would let you know you if the above statement wasvalid or not. Or is it that the playback screen can't offer all the information the photographer needs to make that decisionsimply because the screen is too tiny to offer fine, detailedinput as to when to head for post-production?

Talk to me on the screen then I'll be set.

Again, thanks for the return comment.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:30 AM   #12

After thought, my comment:''But I was thinking the''instant playback'' would let you know you if the above statement wasvalid or not.''

I guess this would depend entirely on the picture-taking environment, e.g., slow and deliberate or fast-paced and hectic. :-)
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:47 AM   #13

The LCD screen doesn't even begin to offer a fraction of the resolution required to judge an image. I find it useful to check composition and make a very rough approximation of the exposure.

The E-500 has one of the better and larger LCD screens. It's 2.5" diagonally and displays 215,00 pixels.

But the E-500 is an 8,000,000 pixel camera. Viewed full size on the average computer monitor, the image would be a couple FEET across!. There is no way to make judgements about things like sharpness and color saturation when you view such a image squeezed onto a screen that small.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:22 PM   #14

Hi Ira & Brent

Firstly Ira thanks for the compliment and for taking a look at the pics. I still feel that I have a lot to learn with the E1 esp metering and at the moment its quiet a beast(in a nice way) compared to the FZ10.

Brent, have to thank you for all of your input and clear to the point advise to my post and the Andrews questions.

Andrew, regards my own camera setup - I've had my FZ10 in camera colour settings (saturation, contrast, sharpen) set to low becuase this would give the closet files to RAW files on FZ10. With the E1 - its exactly the same and if the images needed any additional work I just do that in photoshop. Normally with the FZ10 - that would be a wee bit of USM (unsharp mask), some levels (usually to fix the WB on the FZ10) and brightness/contrast adjustment, apply some despeckle to reduce noise and when needed conversion to B&W. With the E1 all I'm currently doing is just applying a wee bit of USM and brightness/contrast, and the occasional B&W conversion.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 4:21 PM   #15

Thanks everyone, I'm convinced.

Now all I need to do is see what's coming upat Photokina plus ''another'' camerareview or two.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:33 AM   #16

Well this thread has it all. Great pictures HarjTT, and I found the posted replies very informative. Thanks everyone for sharing your expertise. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote