Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:06 PM   #1

Forgive me if this question has been answered already...but I am looking for alternatives to the more costly Zuiko lens for my e-500 and thought I had read Sigma has one with vibration control. Thanks, Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:32 PM   #2

No, not Sigma. There is a 14-50mm lens with IS from Leica/Panasonic, but it is only being sold with the Panasonic L1, Panasonic's version of the E-330.

Here is the full list of 4/3 lenses that are currently, or soon will be available:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/lenses.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:36 PM   #3

Hi Donna

Yeah Sigma does make a few lenses with IS but not for the 4/3 mount that the Oly's and Panasonic DLSR's use. I think its best to wait a wee bit until the Photokina 2006 is over as we may see a whole batch of new kit and may be even OIS Olympus zukio's. Panasonic is going to sell IS based lenses in 2007 including a 14-150 OIS and a 50-150 OIS - both of these are f3.5-5.6 lenses so their aimed at the consumer end of teh market and thus shouldn't be too expensive. I'm happy to wait a wee bit and see what comes along and plug away with my E1 and FZ10.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:45 PM   #4

Thanks foryour prompt replies, I hope Olympus embraces the growing trend toward image stabilization...I love it in the panasonic I have. I just wish I could afford the Zuiko lens, but I guess they would be more expensive if they had the added feature of optical stabilizaltion. Even used they are not cheap. Donna
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:13 PM   #5

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/pa...-4049-2-1.html

This pic shows Pana's 4/3 lens line up. I think the 45mm f2 macro OIS and the 25mm f1.4 lenses will be pretty pricey, although I could be wrong on the 45mm f2. Not too sure on how much the 14-50 OIS will go for esp as its still part of the L1 kit but I think it could quiet well be a $1000 lens. If so I'll spend $400 on the zukio 14-54mm. The other two lenses listed there are the long zooms which I think will be more afforable inbetween the current price for the 40-150mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens - 50-200f2.8-3.5.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:56 AM   #6

D.Ann-

I think the answer is probably that there are no lenses using IS technology that are economical enough to be seriously considered as a real alternative.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:25 AM   #7

Seems more cost effective to buy a camera body with image stabilization, then all lens benefit...like the KM 5D or others...I am tempted by that idea. Donna