Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:38 PM   #1

I came across this thread over at the Leica forum on getting sharp pics hand held and without IS.

http://www.leica-camera-user.com/dig...ding-rule.html

A pretty interesting post and hopefully helpfull for shooting without IS.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O:?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:29 PM   #2

To clarify the "confusion" on that page and simplify it for four/thirds format, you have to use the 35mm equivalent to get the right numbers, or 2x the number on the lens and then do it 1/that number.

For instance, if you are at 25mm on the lens, you should strive for a 1/50th of a second shutter speed for a handheld shot. If you are at 150mm, strive for a 1/300th of a second shutter speed.

Unlike what that page says, 50mm is NOT 50mm. On my last camera, the actual most telephoto position is 59mm, however it was the equivalent of 380mm...there was no way to handhold the lens at the equivalent of 380mm for 1/60th of a second, you had to use 1/400th or the equivalent measurement for the formula.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:11 PM   #3

Hi Mike

I came across this post onthe technique or lack off and think its explained in a logical way with all of the other variables that can effect camera shake also taken into account.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...d-holding.html

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:36 AM   #4

There are ways to get around the tried and true hand holding "rules" as it pertains to shutter speeds.

My most favorite way is to shoot in burst mode. Set your camera to continuous mode and fire off three frames. Since you leave the shutter release pressed down through all three, andif you have good, steadycamera hand-holding technique, often the second or third image will be sharper than the first. With film, I used to be very selective in when I did this, but we're talking digital here! Shoot now, delete later.That isexactly how I got the shot posted below. There were no chairs, columns, rails, etc to brace myself against, and this was taken at 1/4 second. The full-sized image is available to view at the link below- just choose the "original"option underneath the image.

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...184/4/75765399

Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote