Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus Micro Four Thirds (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-micro-four-thirds-103/)
-   -   EPL1 + Lumix 45-200mm - a perfect combo! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-micro-four-thirds-103/epl1-lumix-45-200mm-perfect-combo-177969/)

Tullio Oct 3, 2010 2:12 AM

EPL1 + Lumix 45-200mm - a perfect combo!

5 Attachment(s)
I took some shots with this combo and was pleased with the results. In fact, the lumix 45-200mm works better on the EPL1 than on the G1 (images look sharper). Some of these pictures I took in Soft Focus Art mode.

Tullio Oct 3, 2010 2:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more...

shoturtle Oct 3, 2010 2:21 AM

Yes that is a fantastic combo. I really like the setup. And it give some excellent results and they are very very sharp.

Greg Chappell Oct 3, 2010 10:03 AM

I've been considering this lens as a more appropriate optic than the 70-300 DSLR Zuiko I've been using. Thanks for showing these.

Tullio Oct 3, 2010 10:22 AM

Thanks for commenting. Interestingly enough, I realized after taking more than 50 shots with this combo that the lens OIS was switched ON. So, I had both, the EPL1 and the lens stabilization systems working together. The images I got out of the EPL1 were much sharper than the ones I got out of the G1. I don't know if having "double" IS had anything to do with it or if it is simply the fact that the EPL1 is sharper than the G1, period. What I do know is that having the two IS ON did not harm in any way (at least not in those conditions) as many people suggest.

sdcs Oct 3, 2010 12:58 PM

Do you feel the min 45mm too long? I've been thinking hard to get it, this is the only thing that pushes me back.

shoturtle Oct 3, 2010 5:37 PM

just do not double IS when you have slower shutter speed. Wired things happen when I did it with 1/60 and slower.

Hards80 Oct 3, 2010 5:44 PM

this is a combo i have been considering for a while, just trying to decide if i want the extra reach of the new panny 100-300.

these look good, very sharp. and yea that sharpness is a product of olympus having a better jpeg engine than the pannys. well, actually one of the best jpeg engines in the business.

i think that s/t has it, the shutter speeds were fast enough that it didnt matter if your IS was on/off or both on.

Tullio Oct 3, 2010 9:00 PM

SDCS - how long 45mm is depends on what you are shooting. When I put the 45-200mm on, I really don't expect to shoot wide. Thus, I find 45mm to be wide enough for my needs. This is not a lens to be on the camera most of the time.

shoturtle - I will try to shoot at lower shutter speeds to see whether the images are as sharp or not.

Dustin - there is no doubt that the extra 100mm is a huge plus. However, the new lens looses 55mm on the wider end and it's a lot more expensive than the 45-200mm.

Greg Chappell Oct 3, 2010 10:06 PM

Probably the best small, two lens outfit you can do in the 4/3rd's DSLR system is the 9-18 and 40-150 zooms. I could easily see one having a three lens outfit consisting of a 9-18 Zuiko and the 20 and 45-200 Panasonic lenses.