Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus Micro Four Thirds (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-micro-four-thirds-103/)
-   -   Finally....the colors! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-micro-four-thirds-103/finally-colors-190576/)

Greg Chappell Jul 27, 2011 11:56 PM

Finally....the colors!
 
I've been tweeking on my E-PL2 profiles in Adobe Camera RAW now for a few days and I finally think I got 'em right! Haven't re-worked everything I want, but here are a few. Now, if the temperatures would just cool down a little bit so I can spend some more time outside...

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...7160240-XL.jpg

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...7160195-XL.jpg

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...7160181-XL.jpg

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...7160193-XL.jpg

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...7160165-XL.jpg

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...7160162-XL.jpg

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...7250493-XL.jpg

JeannieBug Jul 28, 2011 1:49 AM

All are beautiful!

In the last photo, I like how there are several stories going on, all at once.

Steven R Jul 28, 2011 3:26 PM

Another nice series Greg. The waterlily is just gorgeous.

P.S. Are you using your m4/3 more than your regular 4/3 now?

Steve

zig-123 Jul 28, 2011 4:28 PM

Hi Greg,

Looks like you've nailed the colors and the process. Purple is always a difficult color to capture. That image of the purple flower looks spot on to me.

Zig

Greg Chappell Jul 28, 2011 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven R (Post 1244764)
Another nice series Greg. The waterlily is just gorgeous.

P.S. Are you using your m4/3 more than your regular 4/3 now?

Steve

Thanks, Steve.

Afraid so. I have kind-of gotten spoiled by the complete and utter lack of any weight in this little outfit. The 75-300 M. Zuiko kind-of tipped things in the micro direction for me.

Greg Chappell Jul 28, 2011 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1244781)
Hi Greg,

Looks like you've nailed the colors and the process. Purple is always a difficult color to capture. That image of the purple flower looks spot on to me.

Zig

Thanks, Zig.

The initial ACR parameters I was using for the E-PL2 were based on the E5 profiles I had tweeked for the E-PL1, which included some heavy color adjustments that, looking back, were just way over the top and the main cause of some color clipping issues. I finally figured out things might be a lot better if I just left all the color settings in ACR at -0-, let the ACR profile for the E-PL2 take care of those and left all the curves and first screen adjustments set to the initial profile settings. The first images looked much better and each subsequent file I re-processed was much better-looking as well.

Comparing to JPEG's processed either in-camera or via Viewer, colors look very similar, but both sharpening and noise filtering in ACR is much superior, especially noise filtering for anything captured from ISO 400 upwards and the clarity of details in the ACR conversions is a step up.

klrman Aug 8, 2011 3:31 AM

A noob question please! I just purchased my E-PL2. Colors are so over done generally in iauto and many other modes. Any way I can get jpegs straight out of my camera looking similar to yours without processing them further in software? I think you have the natural colors spot on, they look absolutely amazing.

LTZ470 Aug 8, 2011 8:14 AM

Wonderful Greg!...beautifully rendered...

Greg Chappell Aug 8, 2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klrman (Post 1247210)
A noob question please! I just purchased my E-PL2. Colors are so over done generally in iauto and many other modes. Any way I can get jpegs straight out of my camera looking similar to yours without processing them further in software? I think you have the natural colors spot on, they look absolutely amazing.

Thanks for the comments.

These were image files captured RAW and processed in Adobe Camera RAW. I made no color changes. Adobe has profiles for models they support and I just allowed the cameras' profile in Adobe Camera RAW to be used in the rendering of the colors and I prefer these to the cameras' own JPEG processor. I have additional profiles set up for the E-PL2 where I have tweeked the contrast, clarity, levels, etc.,, depending on the ISO used, so the results you see here were not straight out of the camera.

The i-enhance and other auto modes do seem to really over-do a lot of stuff, from color to contrast to sharpening. I have played with them but prefer doing my own thing with the RAW files.

There are some parameters on the super control you can adjust to tone down JPEG colors. The default color mode is "standard", and there's a Muted and Vivid option if you want to tone down or accentuate colors in addition to color adjustments you can tweek if you are noticing a particular color shift you'd like to tone down or up.

klrman Aug 9, 2011 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Chappell (Post 1247287)
Thanks for the comments.

These were image files captured RAW and processed in Adobe Camera RAW. I made no color changes. Adobe has profiles for models they support and I just allowed the cameras' profile in Adobe Camera RAW to be used in the rendering of the colors and I prefer these to the cameras' own JPEG processor. I have additional profiles set up for the E-PL2 where I have tweeked the contrast, clarity, levels, etc.,, depending on the ISO used, so the results you see here were not straight out of the camera.

The i-enhance and other auto modes do seem to really over-do a lot of stuff, from color to contrast to sharpening. I have played with them but prefer doing my own thing with the RAW files.

There are some parameters on the super control you can adjust to tone down JPEG colors. The default color mode is "standard", and there's a Muted and Vivid option if you want to tone down or accentuate colors in addition to color adjustments you can tweek if you are noticing a particular color shift you'd like to tone down or up.

Thanks for that info Greg. Never heard about Adobe Camera RAW but I will sure look into it after reading your post.

Was playing with the nature macro today and managed to get a bee shot. Here it is.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...man1/bee2a.jpg


http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...man1/bee2b.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:05 PM.