Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:11 PM   #1

Default M. Zuiko 12-200mm f3.5-6.3 In-Hand

The FedEX truck showed up at 5pm this evening to drop off the 12-200mm f3.5-6.3 I pre-ordered from Olympus.

Now have it mounted on the E-M1X and in a Tamrac Velocity 8X sling bag, along with the 300mm f4, 7-14mm f2.8 amd 8mm f1.8 Fisheye. Plan on taking it downtown tomorrow to do some architectural images where I can both test the full range of focal lengths AND try out the hand-held high-rez mode since most of the subject matter will be very static. May even make a side-trip to the Arboretum as the close focus ability across the range is also very impressive.

Being as late as it was, I only had a chance to try a couple of subjects from my third-floor balcony at distance (and at 200mm wide open at f6.3) I typically use to test the resolution of longer focal lengths, knowing these are at a distance where, if the air is not perfect the subject can lose resolution due to atmospheric haze of varying extent. What I saw in these two very basic test images, the resolution capture ability at 200mm is extremely respectable. Tomorrow's shooting will tell me a lot more.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:24 AM   #2

.......well, looking at your arboretum photos I am pretty well convinced I should see Gil @ AC

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.......well, looking at your arboretum photos I am pretty well convinced I should see Gil @ AC
Hi Bob!

Just completed the 9 mile hile around White Rock Lake with the same combination, adding those images to the same folder. Started in a pre-dawn fog and ending in the mid-morning sun.

I cannot help but think, eventually, when DXO gets the E-M1X and 12-200 added to their profiles these can only get better.

These were all captured at 200mm..

and here's 12mm..

and at f11 to maximize depth of field..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 5, 2019 at 2:32 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:28 AM   #4

I am going to reserve my final judgement on the 12-200 M. Zuiko until after it is supported by DXO (a while most likely) and I can try it out using their corrections. Tomorrow I am going to take the 12-200 out with the E-M1 Mark II as a “reduced size” outfit. Today, I am out and about with the E-M1X, 12-100mm f4 and 40-150mm f2.8 with the I.4x teleconverter fitted.

The 12-200 is tons of fun to shoot. So small and lightweight compared to the 12-100mm f4....not that the 12-100 is really all that heavy, but you can definitely tell which is the better metal body construction and which is the high-grade plastic.

The differences optically also show, in a very stark way, why one is a “Pro” label and the other isn’t.

The 12-200 needs to be 2/3rd’s to one stop down from maximum aperture to really perform and, even there at times, has me scratching my head with the results. If you want consistent image quality with great performance wide open and high acuity in your images, look no further than the 12-100mm f4 and crop as needed to get it to a 150mm equivalent if you just want to carry the one lens option. It just flat blows the doors off the 12-200 in any comparison you want to make. Fun the 12-200 is to shoot. A little frustrating optically is, infortunately, what I have experienced so far. It’s priced probably about $200 more than it should be for what it delivers.

Honestly, the 12-100mm f4 does that to even the 12-40mm f2.8 M. Zuiko, which is no slouch but at this point is only the choice to make when size is the absolute measurement you are using.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:14 AM   #5

.....well, I am either 'on or off' depending on whom just wrote what. I do follow several photographers notes and Greg's is at the top of my list. While I could likely be satisfied with a 12-200, I respect simple (not overly cooked reviews) opinions of those I note e.g. Greg Chappell, Robin Wang, Jay Dickman & some others.

For the type energy I put forth to the 'shooting' style I do, the 12-200 could fit nicely in my bag ( 9-18mm ZD 43, 12-40 PRO, 40-150 PRO + MC-14, 75-300 II, 50-200 ZD 43 non SWD, 14-54 ZD 43, 35 mm f3.5 ZD 43 MACRO, 50 f2 mm ZD 43 MACRO).

Too, the software I use, (COREL Aftershot PRO 3) will likely not be 'upped' for M1x for some time and I either do JPG for ASPro, or RAW & Olympus Workspace. So, I am astride the proverbial FENCE waiting to make a real decision to the 12-200. Where a 12-100 would be a positive treat one will not see the bag any time soon, the 12-200 just may.

This link to my gallery for E-M1x w/12-40 PRO or 40-150 PRO + MC14 => http://tinyurl.com/y46fhdm4

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 9, 2019 at 5:13 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:42 PM   #6

Loaded some more images from my images this morning. Instead of the E-M1 Mark II I again used the 12-200 with the E-M1X and got along with it much better today.

Re-worked some of my sharpening in Photoshop, settings that seem to go better with those files. Had the 7-14mm f2.8 and 17mm f1.2 in the bag too but those never made it onto the camera.