Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus Micro Four Thirds (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-micro-four-thirds-103/)
-   -   New to micro 43. Just picked up E-Pl1 kit from Dell (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-micro-four-thirds-103/new-micro-43-just-picked-up-e-pl1-kit-dell-188423/)

Kenal0 May 29, 2011 11:09 AM

New to micro 43. Just picked up E-Pl1 kit from Dell
 
My regular big rig is a Canon 10D. Sometime it is just too big to haul around and I end up grabbing my Casio P&S but I end up giving up too much so I figured the E-pl1 with the 2 kit lenses will fit the bill. So far I am very impressed by the size, image quality as well as the function of the camera. I also picked up the VF-2. Of course all my Canon lenses are EF and will not work with the new camera but the two lens will work for now. I am also thinking about the Olympus M. Zuiko Digital 17mm f2.8. The other route would be used glass with an adapter in manual mode. Recommendations? Just looking for a prime that I might be able to shoot mostly portrait.
Thanks
Kenal0

KulaCube May 29, 2011 11:20 AM

Congratulations on the new camera and welcome to the forum. Quick question, the two kit lenses? Is the second lens the 40-150?

Kenal0 May 29, 2011 11:38 AM

Yes that is the second lens.


Kenal0

zig-123 May 29, 2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenal0 (Post 1229940)
My regular big rig is a Canon 10D. Sometime it is just too big to haul around and I end up grabbing my Casio P&S but I end up giving up too much so I figured the E-pl1 with the 2 kit lenses will fit the bill. So far I am very impressed by the size, image quality as well as the function of the camera. I also picked up the VF-2. Of course all my Canon lenses are EF and will not work with the new camera but the two lens will work for now. I am also thinking about the Olympus M. Zuiko Digital 17mm f2.8. The other route would be used glass with an adapter in manual mode. Recommendations? Just looking for a prime that I might be able to shoot mostly portrait.
Thanks
Kenal0

Hi,

Hope you like your new EPL-1 as much as I do mine. you'll find the VF-2 a very useful option -invaluable, in fact, for manually focusing old prime lenses.

As for the 17mm 2.8, you may instead want to take a look at Panasonic's 20mm f1.7. It, frankly is a better performer. Here is a review done on it by DPreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...ic_20_1p7_o20/

As for a portrait lens, keep in mind that with the 2x crop factor of the micro four thirds sensor doubles the focal length of a particular lens. Thus, the 20mm f1.7 Panasonic becomes a 40mm f1.7(35mm equiv). It may be a perfect choice for portraits.

Zig

Kenal0 Jun 4, 2011 9:08 PM

I found a clean prime 50mm 1.4 minolta Rokkor lens for cheap. It does a great job and I find a certain satisfaction in taking a good pic with the manual lens.
I also used the E-PL1 with the kit lenses that came with the camera at my daughters high school graduation as well as my Canon 10D and the Canon has nothing on the Pen. I am very pleased with my purchase. Only problem is the other daughter is taking it to Europe for 2 weeks and I have to let it go.

Kenal0

shoturtle Jun 4, 2011 9:32 PM

congrats, nice little camera great to travel around with.

zig-123 Jun 4, 2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenal0 (Post 1231574)
I found a clean prime 50mm 1.4 minolta Rokkor lens for cheap. It does a great job and I find a certain satisfaction in taking a good pic with the manual lens.
I also used the E-PL1 with the kit lenses that came with the camera at my daughters high school graduation as well as my Canon 10D and the Canon has nothing on the Pen. I am very pleased with my purchase. Only problem is the other daughter is taking it to Europe for 2 weeks and I have to let it go.

Kenal0

Funny that you should bring up the 50mm f1.4 Rokkor as it's my favorite manual focus lens to use with the EPL-1. I find it is very sharp and offers a really good out of focus background.

you will have fun with it.

Zig

Kenal0 Jun 5, 2011 9:40 AM

I noticed the blur on the first pic I took with that Minolta lens. I really like that lens. I would like to find a few more to play with. At that price range, it makes it that much more fun.

Kenal0

zig-123 Jun 5, 2011 10:17 AM

Rokkor Files
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenal0 (Post 1231683)
I noticed the blur on the first pic I took with that Minolta lens. I really like that lens. I would like to find a few more to play with. At that price range, it makes it that much more fun.

Kenal0

Hi,

You might be interested in reading this article on the use of Minolta's 'Rokkor' lenses on the 43 system. It is a bit dated as the microfourthirds cameras hadn't been introduced at the time it was written. However, the information still applies and is valid.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/olympus.htm

If you go to the home page of www.RokkorFiles.com, you can access a fairly complete listing of reviews of the various Rokkor lenses.

Another great site to bookmark is John Foster's Biofos.com. Mr. Foster has compiled a tremendous amount of information on OM Zuiko lenses and their use on the Micro43 systems. Here's a link:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_ep1.html

Zig

Kenal0 Jun 5, 2011 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1231691)
Hi,

You might be interested in reading this article on the use of Minolta's 'Rokkor' lenses on the 43 system. It is a bit dated as the microfourthirds cameras hadn't been introduced at the time it was written. However, the information still applies and is valid.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/olympus.htm

If you go to the home page of www.RokkorFiles.com, you can access a fairly complete listing of reviews of the various Rokkor lenses.

Another great site to bookmark is John Foster's Biofos.com. Mr. Foster has compiled a tremendous amount of information on OM Zuiko lenses and their use on the Micro43 systems. Here's a link:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_ep1.html

Zig


Thank you

Kenal0


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:25 AM.