Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus Micro Four Thirds (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-micro-four-thirds-103/)
-   -   WHAT, Another Bag?! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-micro-four-thirds-103/what-another-bag-200199/)

Greg Chappell Jul 7, 2012 1:10 PM

WHAT, Another Bag?!

I went to Arlington Camera this morning initially to buy a second small lens case to hang off one end of my Think Tank Retrospective 5.

The Retrospective 5 work GREAT for a one-body, three-lens outfit. Took my E-P3 and the 12/25/45 prime set to Paris and it was perfect. Since picking up the E-M5 I have also started carrying the 75-300 full-time since the E-M5 has made it usable basically whenever I want with the great high ISO capability. My solution to adding the extra lens was to put the 45/1.8 in a small lens case I already had and hang it on one end of the Retrospective 5 via the great rail accessory they have on these bags.

Now that I also have the tiny 9-18mm M. Zuiko and want access to the extra wide capture ability when needed I had a quandry to figure out. Do I get a second small lens case and now have one lens case hanging off each end of the Retrospective 5 (tried it, starting to feel a little bulky and not-so-small with the two separate cases and more fiddly getting to those two lenses), make a decision as to which lens to not take with me, or do something else, especially considering down the road I'm looking at also adding the vertical grip for the E-M5.

I've tried making the other few bags I have work, but there was always one thing or more I didn't like about them, fit-wise or the way I could or could not carry extra "stuff". Bob saw me with a nice Lowepro bag that works "ok" a few weeks ago.... until a point that morning where I bent down to do something and my Kenko tubes slipped out of a side pocket that was, supposedly", closed via the velcro tab, and I somehow "lost" two lens caps. End of that experiment.

Once I got in the store this morning the answer was pretty easy. One size up from the Retrospective 5 is the Think Tank Retrospective 7. Not overly larger than the Retrospective 5, but way more roomy inside, so now I have two bags for my system that are perfect. The tiny, three lens Retrospective 5 for when it makes sense and this new, one body, five lens Retrospectve 7 for when I want everything......which is most of the time. Same great pocket system as the Retrospective 5 where I've worked out how to carry everything, switch lenses efficiently, keep everything safe and secure, the slightly bigger bag still stays very close to my side in a very unbulky profile, and it is still really, really lightweight considering what it's holding.

boBBrennan Jul 7, 2012 1:56 PM

....I saw last month where the '7' was being introduced. It sounds perfect for my load because I get it done now with a '5', but very tight... Next on my list is a tripod when the kitchen overhaul is finished.

I have Zig's tripod model information and have looked into a couple of others. Greg, what is the model nomenclature for the tripod & head you have.

The house rework has kept me pretty much grounded, by next weekend the project should be done. Yesterday evening I went up the street to the Friday night car show & tell; I took the P3 and 9-18 for a few shots and will post some later.

Gonna take a NAP now, just plain pooped from all the work & no play....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Greg Chappell Jul 7, 2012 11:37 PM

Cool. Can't wait to see some more vintage autos!

The ballhead is a Vanguard model SBH-250

boBBrennan Jul 8, 2012 7:26 AM

Quote:

The ballhead is a Vanguard model SBH-250
...........and the legs are?

Greg Chappell Jul 8, 2012 8:44 AM

Manfrotto 055CXPRO4.

Greg Chappell Jul 11, 2012 10:12 AM

I just saw a very good review of an updated Vanguard ballhead model that uses standard Arca-Swiss compatible mounting plates, which my model SBH-250 does not. That could open up access to other accessories if that was important. Definitely not as cheap as the SBH-250 is the tradeoff. This new Vanguard is about as much as the Manfrotto equivalent to the SBH-250 when I was shopping for which head to buy.

http://photo.net/equipment/tripods/v...allhead-review

boBBrennan Jul 12, 2012 9:47 AM

....I'm reading but no time to respond, got a whole new kitchen of stainless steel appliances coming in this morning. TTYL

Greg Chappell Jul 12, 2012 4:07 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....

boBBrennan Jul 12, 2012 8:40 PM

.....and no new camera stuff for a bit!

James Emory Jul 13, 2012 11:25 AM

Does the dishwasher have Live View?