Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:44 AM   #91

Here is 2000iso with high noise filter
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:36 PM   #92

That's a step better than the EP1. However, I have some concerns about the settings you mentioned. I don't know about the EPL1 (I assume it's very similar to the EP1 in this respect) but the EP1 has two different settings to deal with high ISO noise. One is the Noise Reduct, which can be set to OFF, ON or AUTO. This will kick in when shooting night scenes requiring slow shutter speeds. Then there is Noise Filter, which offers 4 settings: OFF, LOW, STANDARD and HIGH. This filter has been proven to affect resolution when set to HIGH. The thing is, this setting (as opposed to the one I mentioned earlier) is applied to any picture taken, whether at ISO 100 or 6400. As a result, you may benefit from the aggressive noise reduction when shooting at ISO 2000 but you will certainly loose resolution at the lower ISO range (unless, of course, these settings have been implemented differently on the EPL1). To eliminate this problem but still make use of the HIGH noise reduction setting when shooting at high ISO without having to mess around with the menu settings, I've configured My Mode to do just that. I've capped the ISO at 3200 with noise filter set to HIGH. Then, I've set the Fn button to My Mode (many people like to have the Fn button on the EP1/EP2 set to AF lock to speed AF up but I really don't feel that AF speed is a problem to begin with, so I make use of the Fn button in a different way). Now, when I want to take that shot inside a museum where I know for sure I need to increase the ISO beyond 1600, I simply press the Fn button and take the picture (holding the Fn button - unfortunately, you cannot lock by pressing it once as you can with the AEF/AEL button). With this setup, I keep the noise filter at LOW for all shooting conditions that will not go beyond ISO 1600 and make use of the HIGH NR for conditions that demand high ISO.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:25 AM   #93

From what I have been researching. The auto, on, off is if you want the noise filter to actually be in effect. You can still choice the level that you want on and auto to use. I set the noise filter to high vs the default of standard.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:11 AM   #94

That's a different filter. The Noise Reduction filter is only used to reduce noise when shooting at night at low shutter speeds. You can have it set to OFF and still have the noise filter set to high if you wish. The noise filter will be in effect all the time based on the setting you choose. So, if you choose high, the camera will apply high noise filter even to photos taken with ISO 100 (if you set so).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:33 AM   #95

Thanks,

Did not know that, think I will call oly tech support to find out more. I am now curious
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:02 PM   #96

Here are two sample shots with the panny 45-200mm. Unedited just reduce to fit the board. Not a really nice day to test out this new lens.
Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:31 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Thanks,

Did not know that, think I will call oly tech support to find out more. I am now curious
Yeah, the "noise reduction" control you were talking about is just for longer exposures of something like 1 second or more and the noise those type of images have to deal with.

The noise filter setting, which is completely different, is the amount of noise filtering applied to every shot you take and the setting options are Off, Low, Standard or High. The default setting is standard, so if you have never messed with that setting, that's how your camera will be set.

In shooting with my E30, Olympus seems to be applying a certain amount of color noise reduction no matter what the noise filter is set to as I have played around with all four settings and never see the ugly blobs of color noise I used to see with ISO 800 or higher images shot with older cameras like the E1 and E300, even with the noise filter turned to off. Not a bad thing.

Like DPReview stated in their review of the E30, "off" does look to mean pretty darn close to truly, completely off in terms of luminence noise reduction and selecting Low, Standard or High applies increasing grades of control to that...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse30/page21.asp

You just need to do some tests yourself to see what setting you like best for your camera.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:51 AM   #98

Thanks for the link Greg, will do some playing around with the settings.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:57 AM   #99

The IS system from the 45-200mm seems to out perform the inbody system. Just playing around the house, no evf yet. The lens system let me hand hold to about 1/25-1/30 of a sec if I am really relaxing myself at 200mm.

The inbody system at 200mm with the same setting, lets me hand hold to about 1/50-1/40 of a set with the lcd. When I am using this lens, the lens IS is the better option in general on the long end. Have not tried the short end yet.

I like the build quality of this lens, it is better then the ef-s 55-250. And it is a bit smaller also. USM is pretty quite, but the panny makes it look loud actually. It is not a light lens and not heavy either. Very well balance on the camera.

Will try to do some these with it this weekend up in Boston.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:41 PM   #100

Just ordered myself an EP-L1 and lens adapter. The camera should be here tomorrow and the adapter by the end of the week.
satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote