Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:49 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The IS system from the 45-200mm seems to out perform the inbody system. Just playing around the house, no evf yet. The lens system let me hand hold to about 1/25-1/30 of a sec if I am really relaxing myself at 200mm.

The inbody system at 200mm with the same setting, lets me hand hold to about 1/50-1/40 of a set with the lcd. When I am using this lens, the lens IS is the better option in general on the long end. Have not tried the short end yet.

I like the build quality of this lens, it is better then the ef-s 55-250. And it is a bit smaller also. USM is pretty quite, but the panny makes it look loud actually. It is not a light lens and not heavy either. Very well balance on the camera.

Will try to do some these with it this weekend up in Boston.
Not suprised about the build quality of the Panasonic vs. Canon's lower-end lenses. Panasonic makes first-class optics, and their OIS system is quite excellent. You would probably be able to hand-hold at even lower shutter speeds using the eye-level EVF.

The new Olympus 14-150 is going to use internal shifting of lens elements to focus and should be very quiet in operation, too.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:44 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Not suprised about the build quality of the Panasonic vs. Canon's lower-end lenses. Panasonic makes first-class optics, and their OIS system is quite excellent.
Agreed. My three PL 4/3 lenses are just great and if I look at the lenses I have, only the two f/2 SHG lenses top the PLs. So while folks often complain about the price, they're not looking at the fact that other than weatherproofing the PL 4/3 lenses are in the Oly SHG realm.

Although I understand their business reasons, it's sad that Panny decided to stop making 4/3 camera bodies. A new L1 or L10 would be a formidable camera. Especially if it really was an "L" (i.e. designed in cooperation with Leica).

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 23, 2010 at 6:50 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:30 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by satire23 View Post
Just ordered myself an EP-L1 and lens adapter. The camera should be here tomorrow and the adapter by the end of the week.
Congrats, it is a nice little camera. So which lenses are you getting for yours.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:06 AM   #104

It arrived this morning and while the battery was charging I decide to get some group family photos.

The EPL-1 is a fraction of the size of the E-30 and not much bigger than my wife's Kodak. I might now be able to get her to move up to a better camera.

Once I get the adapter for regular 4/3rds lens I'll play around with my other lenses, might take the little guy with the Bigma attached to the Zoo just to watch peoples reactions.

The only additional m4/3rds lens that looks interesting is the Panasonic 45-200mm.

I'll post some photos later if I get a chance to get out today, otherwise I'll just play around the house today with it.
satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:24 PM   #105

Although I'm very impressed with the IQ of the E-30, I can't see myself with it hanging around my neck...it must be a killer to go sightseeing carrying it along with lenses and whatever else. The m4/3 format certainly shines in this department.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:24 PM   #106

The 45-200mm is a very nice lens. From the limited use I have had, it is quite good. Are you getting the panny or the oly 4/3 adapter? They are exactly the same with a difference of 50 dollars only.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:15 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Although I'm very impressed with the IQ of the E-30, I can't see myself with it hanging around my neck...it must be a killer to go sightseeing carrying it along with lenses and whatever else. The m4/3 format certainly shines in this department.
It's really not that bad. The image posted shows an E30 with the accessory battery pack and vertical release attached. With the pack removed, the E30 is not that much more substantial than an E520.

As far as the lenses go...well....that's why I bought them and a full set of high quality dedicated glass is one huge item still missing with the micro four-thirds system. I have a cute little set of kit 14-42 and 40-150 lenses to take with an Olympus DSLR system camera if I wanted to go really light on a trip, and an E620 I could substitute for the E30 to make the DSLR system downright tiny, but I paid a lot of money for better glass, and not to stay at home when I go somewhere that might be a great photo op.

You can make an Olympus DSLR system as physically big or small as you want to make it.

Many micro four-thirds users are hauling a few to several old, heavy manual focus prime lenses and adaptors, making that system very comperable in size and weight to any DSLR system. I saw a picture this past week in the micro four-thirds system forum at DPReview of a someone's G1 "system", which consisted of the G1 body and 5-6 Canon FD-mount prime lenses, including a 200mm f2.8!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 24, 2010 at 1:35 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:52 PM   #108

Okay here are some photos of the 45-200mm at 200mm. f5.6, 1/400, 200iso. I can not wait to get my EVF, just waiting for oly germany to ship the silver EVF. I do not like lcd composing.

First one is with lens IS, body IS off
second is body IS 1 2 axis
third is body IS 2 vertical
fourth is body IS 3 horizontal

All Shot unedited just resized.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 24, 2010 at 6:03 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:02 PM   #109

First one stop down to f22, 200iso, 1/200
Second one stop to f7.1, 200iso, 1/800
third 7.1, 200iso 1/1000
fourth 7.1 200iso 1/640
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:40 AM   #110

Interesting the differences between IS settings in terms of IQ. I assume the 2nd-4th shots had both lens and body IS turned ON, correct? Also, are you still using noise reduction set to HIGH? I find the images a bit smudged considering how sharp the 45-200mm is. I'd run another test at the same location and that is, take 4 shots with NR OFF, Low, Standard and High. I believe you'll find the pictures taken with NR OFF and low to have a lot more resolution than with the other two NR settings.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote