Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:26 PM   #51

canon still have not resolve request the T1i user ask that they come out with a 24fps at 1080 firmware update. So if oly comes out with a update within the next 2 months I will have to give them credit.

But that is the world we live in, get it out asap, and fix this as they roll in. Especially in the consumer electronic world. My wife is at CeBit tomorrow. I am certain at a bunch of the new product they will be launching will have firmware upgrade down the road. First to market is the focus.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:29 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Okay, the ep1/2 cable release will not work on the epl-1 right now, olympus RM-UC1. I spoke with the tech support. And they said they will let their developers know about this and see if they will have a firmware update to resolve it.
But the cool thing is that I first bought that cable for my E20, some 10 years ago. They haven't made it obsolete since then. Same with the AC power supply. 'Ya gotta give Oly credit for that.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:31 PM   #53

Yes Oly seems to be better at customer relation then allot of other companies the do business in the consumer electronic field. It has thus far been a pleasure to deal with them.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:31 PM   #54

Quote:
Oly got back to me and sent me a link to a stand alone firmware updater.
Does that mean they've abandoned their silly system of requiring the camera to be connected to the Internet to do updates?

Ted
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:36 PM   #55

nope, even with the stand alone, it need to be connect to the internet. But it will update panny lenses also with this program.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:23 PM   #56

Quote:
nope, even with the stand alone, it need to be connect to the internet.
That's too bad.

In the engineering world, Risk has a quantitative definition: (Probability of Occurrence) X (Severity of the Consequences)

In Oly's firmware update process there are two possible occurrences - the camera loses power during the update process, or you lose the Internet connection. You can just about eliminate the first one by using an AC power supply. The second one is unlikely but not controllable.

The issue is the Severity of the Consequences. The consequences are a bricked camera and/or lens. In either case you have to send it to Oly to restore it, which personally I consider a very severe consequence.

Oly needs to get with the rest of the DSLR world.

Ted
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:25 PM   #57

Quote:
But it will update panny lenses also with this program.
That's nothing new. The Oly 4/3 update process has always updated the lens firmware including Panny if you have a Panny lens on the Oly camera when you do the update.

Ted
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:32 PM   #58

I will have to find out if the oly process downloads the complete firmware into the program before updating the camera. Or is it a live transfer.

If it download the full firmware, then that removes of of the possible fail points.

I will ask the tier 2 guy tomorrow, when he calls me back about the L designation lens that the epl-1 comes with not needing the 1.1 update.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:33 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
That's nothing new. The Oly 4/3 update process has always updated the lens firmware including Panny if you have a Panny lens on the Oly camera when you do the update.

Ted
That is good to know, but I like that I do not need to install Ib or Master 2. Waste of room on my hard drive for a software I will not use as I edit with Aperture.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:02 AM   #60

Was playing around and I like that can can change aspect ratio's with the camera.