Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 4, 2010, 5:16 PM   #61

I missed oly's call back today. So I will call them tomorrow about the firmware update process.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:47 AM   #62

Okay even though the kit lens it 84mm with the crop factor, I need to add a longer zoom. Went to the store and check out the panny 45-200mm and the panny hd 14-140mm alone with the oly 4/3 40-150 and the 70-300. For travel and compactness. The panny 45-200mm looking like the first option. The 70-300mm had a really big zoom, very tempting, but the lens was a tad slower in AF, and louder then the panny. The panny HD 14-140 was nice, but not enough reach for that kind of price. The oly 40-150mm was okay, but with the adapter was not as compact as I would like.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:09 AM   #63

All zoom lenses are on the bulky/heavier side. Technology has evolved over the years and allowed manufacturers to reduce the weight by replacing metal parts with plastic. With the development of the m4/3 system, manufacturers could significantly reduce the size of the lenses across the board. Unfortunately, neither Panasonic nor Olympus have yet produced a long zoom - and I mean +300mm - m4/3 lens. Pana has the 100-300mm in the horizon. Although the lens should be fairly compact for its reach, it leaves a big gap in the middle of the FL spectrum for those who don't own the 45-200mm and a big overlap for those who do. As shoturtle has pointed out, the 14-140mm is really not long enough (and it's on the expensive side), but it can eliminate the needs for two lenses (14-42mm and 45-200mm) when used in conjunction with the upcoming 100-300mm. So, that would be a nice combo to have.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:42 PM   #64

The more I play with the epl-1, the easier the it gets to adapter to the controls. I am getting to really like this little camera. I do not think the canon G11 would have given me the options that the epl-1 is giving me. This is a really easy to travel with camera.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:37 PM   #65

Okay,

With the oly firmware update. The firmware is temporary loaded to the update program first on your computer. Once it is full downloaded onto your computer. Then is does the update to the camera and lenses. If you lose internet, before the download is complete to your computer. It will not try to load it onto the camera or lens. If you lose internet after the download to your computer, it will still be able to complete the firmware upgrade. Got this info form oly tier 2 tech support.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typo
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:39 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The more I play with the epl-1, the easier the it gets to adapter to the controls. I am getting to really like this little camera. I do not think the canon G11 would have given me the options that the epl-1 is giving me. This is a really easy to travel with camera.
I have it in my Amazon pick of the day for $569...very tempting...veeery tempting!

Tullio
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:42 PM   #67

Get it before the pick of the day passes. That is a very good price.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:52 PM   #68

I know...I can actually make money on it...LOL

Tullio
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:54 PM   #69

It is no longer in my amazon cart for that price. It was a one day thing. But I got the place I got the camera from to throw in a second battery. So that evens out at the end of the day.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:51 PM   #70

It is a one-day thing. Since I just bought a flash for my EP1 last night, I think I'm going to pass on the offer.

Tullio