Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:39 PM   #1

Default EP-L1 first impression

Ok,

I went to J and R today, and they had the blue and champaign one to try out. So here is a quick 15 minute playing around with it.

For all the dslr owners out there I will start with M and A.
When you set the camera to Manual, you will need to press the up arrow to access this feature. After you press the up arrow. The shutter speed and aperture will high light in yellow. With the EVF on. I simply used my right thumb to press up or down on the key pad to change the shutter speed. And used the left and right arrow to change the aperture. It took about 5 min, and it was quite easy.

When you switch to A. Again you will have to hit the up arrow to access the aperture priority. You will use the up and down arrow to change the setting. And you use the left and right arrow to do exposure compensation. You get a live preview of the EC when you change it on the lcd and evf.

Sorry, I do not use S mode to much.

For the p&s shooters, if you put the camera into Iauto. They press the set button. It brings up the menu. With the different effect that you can change. It seem pretty simple, but I much prefer the A and M modes with the dslr back ground. There are plenty of art filters if you want to set the camera to auto to chose from.

I tried out the flash, and it was pretty nice, similar to the gf1.

With the HD mode, it was cool that I can instantly switch form photo to video even with the art filter on by pressing the video button. And have the art filter effect.

The 11 point AF are huge blocks not little dot. And you can chose which one you want just like any dslr.

The EP-L1 is allot lighter then the EP-2 and it does not feel as solid as it is an AL frame with plastic covers vs the EP-2 all stainless steel body. But the lighter body is nice for my travel needs.

Sorry about the poor photos, it was taken with my blackberry's camera.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

cool, thanks for this shoturtle!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:44 PM   #3

Just waiting on the black one and I will make my decision on which color.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:40 PM   #4

You mean E-PL1.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:48 PM   #5

what ever it is suppose to be, it is a the camera that will fit my needs.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:09 PM   #6

I am committed to this the M4/3, just pick up an oly 35mm macro and adapter today. Now I just need the black one and the vf2 to get instock.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I am committed to this the M4/3, just pick up an oly 35mm macro and adapter today. ...
I'm thinking about getting the same combo. I've spent way too much money on MF macro lenses, which perform OK but manual focusing at 1:1 magnification is not that easy. Let us know how the combo works.

Cheers.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:57 AM   #8

Tullio,

I should have the lens middle of next week, and the camera by the end of the week. So Next weekend I should be able to get some test shots up here if all goes will.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Sorry about the poor photos, it was taken with my blackberry's camera.
Proof that despite popular opinion, the best camera is NOT the one that's always with you..! :-D

Seriously though, the BlackBerry shots give a good indication of the button layouts, and the size of the E-PL1 in your hand.... very useful, thank you! Does it feel 'chunkier' than the E-P1 I wonder?

I notice that the E-PL1 double-zoom kit appears to be including a four-thirds adapter, and presumably a 'standard' (i.e. non-"micro") 40-150 telephoto lens. Is this a good thing? Considering the cost of the adapter alone (150) and the difference in cost between the single-zoom kit (545) and double-zoom kit (695) it appears you're getting a free lens!?

I also note that there doesn't appear to be a pancake kit, which speaks volumes about the market they are aiming this at.... yes, I know you can buy body only and add either the 17mm or Panny 20mm - just an observation!

Would you say that the E-PL1 leap-frogs the Panasonic GF1 since this PEN features built-in flash, AF-tracking, higher-ISO settings and in-body image stabilisation, or does the E-PL1 only really bring the two stables offerings in line....?
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 7:57 AM   #10

It is lighter then the EP1. It did not feel chucky. When I put the pancake on it. It feel like the G11 actually in size and weight slightly bigger of course.

Well if you think about it you are getting the lens for free. If you weight for the m4/3 version of the 40-150mm lens. It will be about 400 dollars.

I would not say it leap frogs it, in lens IS give a bit better performance. For a kit right out the box, the gf1 is a faster AF system because of the lens. The EPL1 bring the m4/3 into a more affordable package with a flash the the other pen's did not have. With the guts of the ep-2 which I really like for the jpeg engine. AF tracking is nice, but it is not something that I would use much as it still will not perform as well as a dslr for shots with some action with a good panning.