Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:33 PM   #21

Nice but...that bug kills the second shot!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:24 AM   #22

I bought an EPL1 yesterday. Up to now I've been using an Olympus Camedia C-750 Ultra Zoom, which I still own and have been very pleased with. Still, Christmas coming up, so…

Anyway, I was really hoping that the EPL1 would help me get even better macro shots of my cacti, and seeing your shots of the watch-face gave me hope. Sadly, my own efforts have resulted in little more than colourful blurs, even with a tripod.

Can you tell me your secret, please?
davidneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:05 PM   #23

Sorry to jump in...I had this lens and found it very difficult to use for macro because you need to get extremely close to the subject in order to get a 1:1 magnification. The problem is, you need to make sure the very center of the focus is not closer to the subject than the minimum distance for the lens otherwise, you'll get blurred images. Also, use smaller apertures to increase the depth of field. The wider the aperture, the more difficult it will be to get the center of the subject in focus.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:46 PM   #24

That's just my problem: I want to get really close to the subject, 2cm and less if possible. I can manage this with the old Camedia and it looks as if the watch faces at the beginning of this discussion were photographed in a similar way. Sometimes, the EPL1 simply refuses to fire the shutter, and when it does fire, the results are extremely disappointing. I'm sure I just don't know how to use the camera in macro situations, but the handbook is of no help at all.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:50 AM   #25

Make sure you turn the is off when shooting macro on the tripod. It will cause blurs. If you are shooting indoors in low light, set up you shot and user the e or 12 second time to let the camera get still before it snap the shutter. If outdoor tried to open up the aperture to get a faster shutter speed to avoid the shake and use the IS.

Sorry I can not respond faster on in more details, I am on holiday till jan in south east asia. Not much time to spen online
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:19 AM   #26

I meant use the 2 or 12 second timer to release the shutter so the camera have time to settle. You are only very close if you are after 1:1 at 1:2 you have decent working distance of 5-8 inches
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:21 AM   #27

I had hoped to have at least the same capabilities as with my old Camedia C-750, with which I can approach to within an inch of the subject. I guess this is impossible with he EPL1.

Pity.

Still, thanks for your advice.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:07 AM   #28

Are you using the zukio 35mm 3.5 and 4/3 to m4/3 adapter for the close up work, there are times I am close to 1 inch when using that lens on a tripod. But if you are using the just the kit lens, it is not able to shoot 1:1 macro or 1:3. It is not design to shoot that close with the that kind of magnification.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 31, 2011 at 9:52 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:47 PM   #29

Ah, so the kit lens isn't up to it. Thanks for the info (I thought it was me). I'll look at the lens you suggest.