Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 18, 2010, 4:08 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Olympus E-PL1 and Vivitar Ser 1. 105mm 2.5

Fully Extended to 1:1

Closed, normal

Old May 18, 2010, 4:12 PM   #2

That lens looks huge on the epl-1
Old May 18, 2010, 4:55 PM   #3
Super Moderator

didn't get many good examples. today was just too dark, and windy. i could not keep up shutter speeds to combat the wind, as that 105mm x2 crop factor really magnifies any subject movement. got this one, probably because i bumped up the ISO to 400

Old May 18, 2010, 4:59 PM   #4

That is very sharp, the water droplet is magnified the part of the flower also, very cool
Old May 18, 2010, 5:14 PM   #5

Hi Dustin,
Impressive looking combination.

But I do have a question: are you, at all concerned about the weight of a large lens such as the one mounted to the camera without any supplemental support to take part of the load (weight) off the mount of the E-PL1?

Mind you, I haven't had a chance to actually take a lens off , inspect the mounting system and look at it's build/ Just something that jumped out at me when I saw your combo.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 6:41 PM   #6

Dustin, nice setup, I have a series 1, 70-210mm macro vivitar in canon fd mount, I've been thinking about getting an adapter to try it and some of my old canon fd lenses. from what I have read the series 1 vivitars are the ones to have if you want image quality with digital sensors, I think your image proves the point.

Zig, the front-end is seemingly solid on my e-pl1, it would be the thought of my thumb going through the speaker holes while hand-holding on the back that could be of concern, as the back feels very fragile to me.
Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; May 18, 2010 at 9:14 PM.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 6:46 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Shoturtle, Zig, Charles. thank you all.

My EPL1 mount feels very solid. I was holding it with one hand today with tripod in other hand most of the day even with it full extended which is quite a bit of torque, and never once worried about the lens mount or the grip/body. Actually it never even crossed my mind until you asked.

Charles, the viv 70-210 is one of my next intended purchases. I figured out today that the 1:2 to 1:3 macro of the viv 70-210 (depending on model) would be plenty for the majority of my needs, and being more flexible.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:10 PM   #8

I used to have a whole set of that stuff in Nikon F mount....the 28mm f1.9, 35-85 f2.8, 90mm f2.5 with the tube, 135 f2.3 and 90-180 f4.5 Flat Field, and a Vivitar 24mm f2 non-Series 1 that focussed extremely close and was a sharp as any 24mm f2 Nikkor. You can certainly do a lot worse. What you couldn't do, was carry it all at one time in your bag!

From the looks of that one shot, you should kick it up to ISO 400 more often....maybe even 800. Tack sharp. I'd want that electronic eyelevel finder to shoot with one of these lenses.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 8:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Thanks Greg.

Yea, it did turn out quite sharp. that 90 2.5 with tube was my other choice, I just found this one at a good price first. both are excellent macros.
Old May 19, 2010, 1:13 AM   #10

Do the Series one lenses suffer from the lack of quality control other Vivitar lenses do? I have thought about adding the 100/2.5 but my experience with Vivitar has been so hit and miss I think I'd probably go for the 90/2.5 Tamron instead.

Great shots and a nice looking lens.
John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote