Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 20, 2010, 4:35 PM   #1

Default epl-1 high iso

I have only got to play with the new e-pl1 a little bit, but so far am totally impressed with the jpeg files, they are the cleanest of any olympus camera I own. The dynamic range & high iso results are impressive. I do not own any newer dslr than the e-3, e-420, so those with the 620,e-30,or 450 might be getting impressive files to. the image below is an iris shot at 1/320 sec., f-8, iso 1000, -.3ev, kit lens, taken in the shade with very bright sun rays coming through tree hitting the petals although not perfect the detail retention & lack of noise is impressive to me. the only post was unsharp mask in viewer 2 to see if i could get any noise to rear- up. there are some jpeg artifacts in the bokeh in the bottom right from compression for the web but not visible in original file.

Charles

cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2010, 4:52 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i will completely agree with you. the epl1's image process is superb, combined with the lighter AA filter they used. i am constantly impressed. i shoot RAW, but i don't know why, the jpegs are absolutely terrific.

one thing i was kind of surprised, i shot my first outing in L(N), which i just don't understand, the camera should come L(F) as default, i am sure it took some ppl a while to figure that out.
Old May 20, 2010, 4:58 PM   #3

If you want to, you can lower the noise reduction from std to low. It works well upto 2000iso.
Old May 20, 2010, 8:08 PM   #4

Dustin I adjusted mine to L(SF) & shoot raw file with it also. I think because the target market is likely to be those who do not make very big prints they default it so they get more shots per card.

Shoturtle, after I read your post went back & checked the nr setting & seen it was set to low, I will have to turn that off & shoot some more to see how higher iso's do without any noise reduction. it is amazing the amount of custom settings the camera has once you unlock the custom menu. 1 thing that it has "that would be great on the e-3" is the ability to calibrate the focus point of the camera yourself. I like many feel the 12-60mm misses the focus point slightly and the ability to shift it back & forth yourself is a great thing to have.
Charles
Old May 20, 2010, 8:14 PM   #5

I love the epl-1, but sadly I do not get to use it much. It is in the wife's travel kit. There so much you can adjust yourself that it is great.

You can shoot at 3200iso with NR set to high is you are will to give up on some details. I have just added the panny 20mm 1.7 to the kit. This should give the epl-1 some great low light ability. Looking forward to testing it against my T1i with the 28mm 1.8 in low light next weekend. I think I will be very impress with it at 1600iso.

In good daylight condition, I just turn NR off. And you get so much details with it.
Old May 20, 2010, 9:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I love the epl-1, but sadly I do not get to use it much. It is in the wife's travel kit. ............
Sounds like a good excuse to buy another one!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 9:14 PM   #7

Yeah it does, doesn't it.

But the next camera purchase will be a 5D MK III when it comes out.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:37 PM   #8

Another iris this time 1/125,f4.5,iso 100,kit lens, L(SF) jpeg, curves adjustment & unsharp mask in viewer 2.

Old May 20, 2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Super Moderator

great detail and contrast. really nice colors here.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:17 PM   #10

Thanks Dustin, even though I boosted the contrast with a curves adj., the iso 100 shot was more saturated than the iso 1000 shot right out of camera. tried to duplicate the saturation in the low iso with the high iso shot just using viewer but there is a shift in the red and yellow hues in the high iso shots happening in the jpeg engine, I will have to play with viewer some more to see if it has the power to correct it. irregardless both jpegs are extremley clean detail wise.
Charles