Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:51 PM   #1

Default Another interesting article on m4/3

From the Chicago Sun-Times. From a guy who was a doubter.

(Now, after researching for dozens of hours and checking out all of your photos in the forums, I'm counting the days 'till I receive my E-Pl1 from B&H!)
http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...70810.article#
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:25 PM   #2

Interesting read. The writer imho nail m4/3 to a tee. Those are the big reason I have a epl-1
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:27 PM   #3

My most receant trip, the epl-1 took majority of the photo work of the landscape and people shots I took and interesting objects. I only took out the t1i for the plane spotting I do from time to time.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:06 PM   #4

interesting article, I also think he got the point well across. The e-pl1 takes amazing images that are on par, if not significantly better than my e-3, in low light. The slow (compared to SLR) auto focus is what most will complain about. The nikon & cannon shooters that I have seen putting the micro-four thirds system down, just do not realize how powerful these little cameras are.
The customability of the camera far exceeds the entry level nikon dslrs, & probably the lower end cannons to (shoturtle maybe you can chime in here I'm not familiar with all of cannons capabilities in their lower end dslrs. ). Add to this that you can mount just about any manual lens ever made, by any manufacturer, this is one thing that cannon & nikon have no current answer for.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:13 PM   #5

compare to the t1i and T2i, the epl-1 does not focus as fast. But compare to the XS it is on par with it and other entry level dslr. Photo image wise, it is actually better then most entry canon. The jpeg engine if just fantastic. Now if my T1i puts out jpegs like the epl-1 I would really never have to edit.

But low light shooting, it is very good at 1600 iso, almost on par with my t1i. This camera can save me allot of weight when traveling. And it is a very powerful camera. Except for action and extreme low light. The camera can handle all I throw at it.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:41 PM   #6

The real question is, how many shots on average one will miss due to the "slow" AF of the EPL1 (or the G1,...for that matter)? One can get down to the microseconds when comparing the two systems (m4/3 vs. APS-C) but in reality, that difference will only be significant in some very specific conditions.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:43 PM   #7

Do take the epl-1 for plan spotting or F1 racing.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:55 PM   #8

Like I said, specific conditions. Actually, it may do well at a F1 racing if panning.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote