Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:31 PM   #1

Default Lens thoughts....

So I just ordered my E-PL1 w/kit zoom. It will be arriving on Thursday.

But I'm in a quandary about what other lenses to get. I don't want to spend a lot of money right now if I don't have to, but I'm going to Africa in three weeks, so I want a few, fairly rugged, very portable options.

I think the kit will be fine for most of my portraiture shooting (at least for now... the Panny 20mm f/1.7 will be in my future), but I suppose I need a little bit of a zoom for wildlife, etc.

The obvious choice is the Panny 45-200. It's $280 at Adorama. That's a pretty good deal, gets me effective 400 mm lens, and is quite portable.

But I'm also thinking about getting the Oly 40-150mm f/4-5.6 FT. I can get it reconditioned for $80 (!), and then I could buy the Panny 4/3 to m4/5 adapter for $100. So for $100 less than the Panny m4/3 lens, I get a lens that can reach 300mm effectively, and I get an adapter to use on other 4/3 lenses, should I ever get any more. Oh, and the Oly is 160 grams lighter and almost 30 cm shorter.

I know you get what you pay for in glass, but does anyone see anything wrong with the Oly combination? Reviews of the lens seem generally positive (realizing that it's a value-driven lens).

Are there any other good choices that I'm forgetting? I'm willing to consider anything, even legacy lenses, although I think I'd be sticking with a legacy prime, because I don't want to worry about manual zoom, focus, AND exposure.

(Sorry Shoturtle, if you're getting bored with all of my questions...)

There's also an oly 40-150 f/3.5-4.5, it's twice as heavy, 30mm longer, but B&H has a used one for $95. I don't suppose the extra stop is worth the extra bulk and weight, but if anyone knows anything about that lens, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Last edited by perdendosi; Jul 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:57 PM   #2

Actually the oly combo is a kit they sell in Europe, it is not bad, but when you add the adapter, the lens is not as compact as the panny when fully extended

The 40-150 3.5-4.5 is a higher quality lens as the lens is 1 stop brighter at the long end so it is a fast lens for twilight shooting. The 3.5-5.6 is the kit lens version and it one of the best kit lenses on the market.

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--fou...-oly_40150_456

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:04 PM   #3

PS the 40-150 3.5-4.5 is equal with the panny at the same ranges in stops. Both are higher grade lens, and optically a bit better then the 40-150 3.5-5.6. But the oly 3.5-4.5 has been discontinued.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote