Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:17 PM   #1

Smile I finally took the leap and purchased the E-PL1!!

Thank you all for helping me make the decision to purchase the E-PL1!! I am new to the forum, but have been reading the threads for over a month!!

I was so undecided on what I wanted to purchase - at first the E-PL1 vs the Canon T2i. I then decided portability was very important to me, so I then crossed off the Canon. Then I had to decide between the E-PL1 and the Sony NEX 3. I toyed with that decision for a couple of weeks, but after researching and viewing online pictures and reviews - I decided on the E-PL1. The pictures taken by the EPL-1 always looked sharper than the NEX 3.

I have had my E-PL1 for a week now and I am truly LOVING IT!!! The pictures have been sharp and color perfect!! I know I made the right decision. I also enjoy toying with the art modes.

Shoturtle - you don't know it, but a couple of your posts also helped me make this decision - so thanks!!

I am a novice, but I am looking forward to learning from all of you!!
pfran09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:34 PM   #2

Congrats, glad my post help out, and welcome to the forum.

It is a really great little camera. It has become my favorite walk around camera. And I love all the m4/3 lenses. There is some great m4/3 lenses on the market.

post some photos if you have sometime

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 17, 2010 at 9:46 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:09 PM   #3

What should be my next lens? I only have the one that came with it. The guy at the camera store tried to sell me the Panasonic 40-200mm. What is your opinion? I need more zoom, but also want quality.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:17 PM   #4

It is a great zoom, I really like the one I got. Here are some shot with the epl-1 with the 45-200mm with assorted ranges. It is about 280 dollars at the good online stores.

for most shooting I leave the lens IS off, and use the camera IS instead. Keep me form leaving both IS system on, not a good thing if that happens.
Attached Images

Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:00 PM   #5

pfran, congrats on your purchase, the epl-1 has been very impressive to me. so far the image quality & high iso quality has been more than I expected from the camera. From what I have read the sony's version of the EVIL cameras have a long way to go before they catch up with the Olympus & Panasonic offerings.

By the way welcome to the forum hope to see some pics from your epl-1.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:47 PM   #6

WOW!! Great photos - shoturtle!! I will definitely start researching to find that Panasonic lens.

Thanks, Charles! I really do feel that I made the right decision. I will post some photos soon. Right now I am just playing around and getting familiar with everything this baby has to offer. I do agree with you about the Sony Nex. I played with it a couple of times at the camera store before making my final decision and the interface was very convoluted and frustrating at times. I'm not saying that it's not a great camera, but just not for me. Also, I definitely liked the pictures of the EPL1 better.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:29 PM   #7

The 2 lenses that comes with the nex are very soft. I shoot around with it, and you really need to stop down to go get it sharp. So if you want shallow dof, you can not have sharpness with it. Hopefully the 18-200mm that they uses for the video lens is better, well I hope for 800 dollars.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:54 PM   #8

Did you check if the camera has the latest firmware, if not I would do it right away. It makes the autofocus work allot faster.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfran09 View Post
What should be my next lens? I only have the one that came with it. The guy at the camera store tried to sell me the Panasonic 40-200mm. What is your opinion? I need more zoom, but also want quality.
I, along with many other micro four-thirds shooters, highly recommend the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens. This is a must if you want to do low-light photography without a flash. Olympus makes a 17mm f/2.8 pancake but the Panny is quite a bit faster.

But if a longer zoom is more important to you right now, the Panasonic 40-200mm might be your only option. Don't worry... as you can see above, the Panasonic lenses are of good quality.

You also have the choice of two micro fourth-thirds superzooms: the Olympus 14-150mm f/4-5.6 and the Panasonic 14-140mm f/4/-5.8. In this case, I'd personally go with the Olympus lens with the E-PL1. It's lighter, less expensive and a bit faster at the long end than the Panny.

Paanasonic's lenses (with the exception of the 20mm pancake) have image stabilization in the lens which makes them heavier and more expensive. The E-PL1, like all modern Olympus cameras, has image stabilization in the body so all lenses on it are stabilized.

If you buy the Panny 40-200mm lens, make sure you use either the stabilization in the lens or in the body - but not both at the same time. You can try both ways and see which works better. In most cases, the body-based stabilization will work just fine. But all the way at the long end of the 40-200, the lens stabilization might work a bit better.

Last edited by Biro; Jul 20, 2010 at 12:20 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:42 AM   #10

Biro,

If you had to choose one "system" to use for all purposes, would you wind up being a Proud Pentaxian, a Merry Micro Four-Thirdsian, or a Loyal Lumixian? From your list of equipment, these cameras seem to be used for different purposes, but would you extend the capabilities of the capabilities of the ELP1 and utilize them or keep the K200D? I'm interested because I'm torn between the Pentax K-x, the Canon T1i, and the Olympus ELP1. Whichever I choose would have just two lenses (maybe three in time), such as the 14-42 and either 40-150 or Panny 45-200 for the ELP 1, or the 18-55 and 55-300 for the K-x.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote