Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:44 AM   #1

Default Confused about lenses

After doing quite a bit of reading, I am now considering buying an E-PL1. However, I'm a little confused about lenses.

I'm thinking of buying the Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm f/4-5.6 ED lense to go with the camera. I have found an adapter on ebay for $20 but don't know if it will work properly since the Olympus and Panasonic adapters are far more expensive.... here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-4-3-OM4-...ns_Accessories.

Also, I have read that 150mm on a the 4/3 is similar to 300mm (35 mm equivalent). Does this mean that I will get the same zoom ability as a 300mm lense on a DSLR?

Thank you.
finja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I cant open ebay on my work network, but i am going to say that is a mechanical only adapter, meaning it will not autofocus or control aperture. get the olympus or panasonic adapter for certain. but a better option is to not get that lens.

for a similar price you can get Panasonics 45-200 micro 4/3 lens instead of getting an adapter and a regular 4/3 lens. it will autofocus much faster without the adapter and i am pretty sure its better optically too.

but yes, multiply all focal lengths by 2 to get a 35mm equivalent.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:26 AM   #3

Thank you Hards80...

I have looked at the Panasonic lense but the best price I can find in Canada is $350. The Olympus lense I can get for $90 plus the adapter cost. If the ebay adapter would do the trick then there is a huge difference in cost but you are correct that the ebay adapter will not autofocus or control aperture.

I can't seem to find a panasonic adapter at the retailers I looked at (couldn't find on ebay either). Any suggestions for where I can find one?

Also, I thought I read that the panasonic adapter does not autofocus... is that correct?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the official adapters from panasonic and olympus both work the same.

i am not familiar with where to get in Canada. Can you get Amazon to ship it to Canada?

if so, you can get that lens plus adapter together for 199$

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-40-150...1547128&sr=8-2

or the native 45-200 zoom for 291
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-45-2...1547109&sr=8-1

sorry i cannot be specifically helpful to canada.

btw- the panasonic and olympus adapters are both fine.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by finja View Post
Also, I have read that 150mm on a the 4/3 is similar to 300mm (35 mm equivalent). Does this mean that I will get the same zoom ability as a 300mm lense on a DSLR?
Same thing as a 300mm lens on a full-frame body like the Canon 1DsIII or Nikon D3 series. The smaller sensored DSLR's also have crop factors like the 4/3rd's system so no, what you asked above is not the same for all DSLR's, just the most expensive ones.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:56 PM   #6

Quote:
After doing quite a bit of reading, I am now considering buying an E-PL1. However, I'm a little confused about lenses.

I'm thinking of buying the Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm f/4-5.6 ED lense to go with the camera. I have found an adapter on ebay for $20 but don't know if it will work properly since the Olympus and Panasonic adapters are far more expensive.... here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-4-3-OM4-...ns_Accessories.
The link provided does not work, but with "OM4" part of the description, it sounds possibly like an OM to micro 4/3rd's adaptor, which is not the same thing as the Olympus or Panasonic adaptors by a long shot.

The Olympus and Panasonic adaptors are for using standard 4/3rd's lenses, like the 40-150 you listed above on the micro bodies and keeping all electronic functions like AF and all exposure modes. I imagine your $20 adaptor is simply a tube to allow a manual focus OM lens on a micro body, and you'll not have any AF and limited exposure mode options with no electronic communication.

In this case, you do get what you pay for. The $20 adaptor will get you about $20 worth of compatibility.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:30 AM   #7

This adapter will not allow you to auto focus or change the aperture of the lens. You will really want one of the adapters that Hards mention as it will let any 4/3 lens fully function on the epl-1 with AF, aperture can metering.

the 40-150mm and adapter are part of a 2 lens kit they sell in europe. It works quite well, but having shot the panny 45-200mm. I have to say the panny is a bit better lens. Very sharp. That was the reason I went with the panny lens over the olympus lens with an adapter. Plus that extra 100mm eq reach really comes in handy at times.

Here are some shots I took with the epl-1 with the panny 45-200, and you can compare them with the shots I took with my canon t1i and 70-300mm lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...s-germany.html

Quote:

Thank you.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 12, 2010 at 1:35 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:33 AM   #8

Here is the lens at 200mm
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:16 PM   #9

Those are some beautiful pictures... I think I would be very happy with an E-PL1.

Since I'm not familiar with dSLR, I am still confused about the "zoom" on the lenses though. For example, I believe that a Pentax K-x with a 55-300 lense would give a max zoom equivalent to 16.7X. So for an E-PL1 with a 55-200 lense would the max zoom be 14.3X or 22.2X?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Those are some beautiful pictures... I think I would be very happy with an E-PL1.

Since I'm not familiar with dSLR, I am still confused about the "zoom" on the lenses though. For example, I believe that a Pentax K-x with a 55-300 lense would give a max zoom equivalent to 16.7X. So for an E-PL1 with a 55-200 lense would the max zoom be 14.3X or 22.2X?
The 4/3rd's system, be it DSLR or these micro bodies, is a 2x factor, so a 50-200mm lens would cover an a equivalent range of 100-400mm, or 4x zoom.

The Pentax lens you mentioned above would not be a 16.7x zoom on that system. Not sure how you are coming up with that number. The Pentax system is either a 1.5 or 1.6x crop factor, so a 50-300mm lens would cover, at most, the equivalent focal length range of an 80-480mm zoom, or 6x zoom.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM.