Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:26 AM   #1

Default Oly E-PL1 and Compatible Lens

Ok I am being lazy, but the price on the E-PL1 is very inviting for a good camera and excellent IQ...I have already had one in my hands before at Wolfe Camera ($$$!)

My thought process: (The red flags should have already went up...lol)
I am wanting the E-PL1 + 70-300 (Requires which adapter? and is it AF capable?) + 2X Oly Teleconverter to give me an effective 1200mm (35mm)...

What are the pro's and cons? What would be another option to this? Is the E-P2 worth the coin above the E-PL1? Would the 40-150mm lens be a good choice also? or the Panny 45-200mm?

I am looking at outdoors only good weather shooting for wildlife and BIF...I am sure the BIF will be limited greatly, but I am still going to give it a shot...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

to be 100% honest here.

don't buy it for wildlife and bif, its really not what it was designed for. if you want to do that, get a regular 4/3 if you want to take advantage of the 2x crop factor.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:37 AM   #3

Which regular 4/3 Dustin? I was really wanting the best IQ possible no matter what and then I was really looking forward to the in camera stabilization....with the possible 1200mm equivalent zoom w/ 2X TC...

Am I on the wrong track?

7D is an awesome camera, but the size is the deal breaker with me...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Super Moderator

why don't you do a little research on Olympus's E-620, its very small for a DSLR, focus' fast, good IQ, inbody stab. and will work out much better for your intended needs than a mirrorless camera. esp if you are talking telephoto lenses and teleconverters. and esp wildlife in action

there are alot of users in the Olympus DSLR forum that can help you as well.

The Olympus E-600 is the same camera minus backlit buttons, and can be had even cheaper sometimes.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:56 AM   #5

Will do....thanks Dustin...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:25 PM   #6

LTZ-

I have an E-600 and it performs well. For your proposed uses, the E-600 or E-620 is the better choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post

My thought process: (The red flags should have already went up...lol)
I am wanting the E-PL1 + 70-300 (Requires which adapter? and is it AF capable?) + 2X Oly Teleconverter to give me an effective 1200mm (35mm)...

What are the pro's and cons? What would be another option to this? Is the E-P2 worth the coin above the E-PL1? Would the 40-150mm lens be a good choice also? or the Panny 45-200mm?

I am looking at outdoors only good weather shooting for wildlife and BIF...I am sure the BIF will be limited greatly, but I am still going to give it a shot...
To answer your first question regarding the 70-300 and whether or not it would autofocus with a micro four-thirds body, it does...not as fast as the AF works when mounted on a DSLR it's designed to be used with, but the focus speed is very respectable. Since the 70-300 is designed to be used with the DSLR system (regular 4/3rds), you have to buy the Olympus MMF-2 adaptor, which has to be used in order to use any regular 4/3rd's system lens on a micro four-thirds body.

As I said above, the focus speed of the 70-300 on the micro bodies is respectable...I played with my 70-300 on an E-PL1 body a little bit last night, but you probably wouldn't have a lot of luck getting multiple image bursts of birds in flight, and I am here to tell you, holding a camera body and the 70-300 out in front of you and using the rear LCD to compose and shoot is hard and a royal PITA, which I knew it would be. For reaching static subjects, like pulling in long-distance scenics or architecture and other non-moving subjects, the E-PL1 and 70-300 combination would be fantastic, used with an eyelevel finder, which brings me to the next paragraph below.

I just received my E-PL1 yesterday and after playing with it and using the rear LCD for a few hours, I ordered the Olympus VF-2 accessory electronic eye level electronic finder last night because I will be using my E-PL1 alot with larger 4/3rd's lenses like the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD zooms for a little while until I get around to spending the money it'll take to buy the dedicated micro lenses I want, like the 14-150 superzoom.

Even after I pick up the 14-150 micro lens, I imagine the VF-2 will pretty much stay glued onto the E-PL1 body. My handholding is just better when I can bring the camera up to my eye. High magnification, long distance shooting and using rear LCD's just does not work for me.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:53 PM   #8

I can not wait for the panny 100-300 m4/3 lens, think it will be pretty compact and work quite fast with the epl-1 like my current 45-200mm. But like Hards said, the epl-1 had a good AF, but it is really not design for BIF's. The dslr systems are still better for that type of shooting. And the e620 is a very good camera. I almost bought one last year. But the epl-1 is a slight better then the e620 in low light with the revamped sensor it has.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:04 AM   #9

Yes, I think the IQ on the E-PL1 is better than the E620, but of course the E620 is the better design for my application...still haven't decided cause IQ is the main objective...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:09 AM   #10

if you do not take bif or action. it is a heck of a compact camera. With some great abilities. But if you are getting for the 2x crop and need it for bif, the e620 is the better options.