Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:07 PM   #11

the 70-300 and evf combo is very impressive. I may consider it, if the panny 100-300mm is not as good as their 45-200mm in image quality. The EVF makes the epl-1 so much more fun and precise to use compare to the lcd.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 15, 2010 at 1:32 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
The VF-2 is the best electronic viewfinder I have ever had the pleasure to look through - even better than those in the Panasonic G1 and GH1.
May be so but you don't need to pay an extra $200+ to have it on the Gnn models. That money can go toward a good lens instead!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
the 70-300 and evf combo is very impressive. I may consider it, if the panny 100-300mm is not as good as their 45-300mm in image quality. The EVF makes the epl-1 so much more fun and precise to use compare to the lcd.
You mean 45-200mm, right?

There are many benefits associated to having a camera with an EVF. It eliminates the problem caused by bright sunlight (no matter how good the LCD is, this is still a problem), it makes it easier to see the camera settings displayed, it provides more privacy during composition when shooting in crowded places as you don't need to have your arms extended bumping into other people as you search for that perfect shot and above of all, it is a must when shooting with MF lenses.

Tullio
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
May be so but you don't need to pay an extra $200+ to have it on the Gnn models. That money can go toward a good lens instead!
I considered the G2, but decided to stay with Olympus for the better JPEG engine...I shoot RAW enough with my DSLR's, in-camera stabilization for ALL my lenses and to keep everything within the same manufacturer.

Already have all the good lenses I really need. At some point I will pick up the 9-18 and 14-150 micro Zuikos for the ultimate in compactness, but I already have a full set of Digital Zuikos to choose from. Yesterday I carried the kit lens, the 9-18, 70-300 and 40-150 Zuikos to try them both (pretty much decided on the 70-300 to carry the most), and the EX25 tube for closeups with the 70-300. I left the two bigger ones, the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD Zuikos, at home (as well as the EC20 if I want to really reach out there with the 50-200) but will take those when I need the speed, and there's still the 25mm f2.8 Zuiko I have if I ever want it....good optics are not what I lack!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:36 AM   #15

Well, in that case...I suppose buying the EVF makes sense.

Tullio
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:33 PM   #16

Thank Tullio,

this topic got me drooling about a 300mm lens, I am thinking panny 100-300mm, I want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
You mean 45-200mm, right?

There are many benefits associated to having a camera with an EVF. It eliminates the problem caused by bright sunlight (no matter how good the LCD is, this is still a problem), it makes it easier to see the camera settings displayed, it provides more privacy during composition when shooting in crowded places as you don't need to have your arms extended bumping into other people as you search for that perfect shot and above of all, it is a must when shooting with MF lenses.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:35 PM   #17

I had the ZD 70-300mm and loved it. By far the best 300mm lens I've ever had (and I had a few from different manufacturers). But, I think this lens + adapter makes it a huge ensemble for a small camera such as the EPL1. Price wise this lens is a great deal but by the time you add $100+ for the adapter, I think the Pana 100-300mm becomes a much more attractive package.

Tullio
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:38 PM   #18

I think so with the panny, but since I already have the adapter, I would only need the 70-300mm if the panny is a dog. But it is a bit large, so I am hoping the panny offering will not be much larger then their 45-200. I doubt it will be a dog of a lens.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:51 PM   #19

Pics are fantastic! Awesome IQ etc. Well done.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote