Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:22 AM   #21

Yes, you can narrow the AF box on the E-PL2. I have mine narrowed. The regular-sized AF box can sometimes be a little big with too wide a field of sensitivity if you are trying to place the focus on an exact spot. Often the camera will focus beyond an area like that if there a lot of detail beyond where you want to focus. That's when you use the more narrow AF area. At the smallest size, it's almost a spot AF option.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yes, you can narrow the AF box on the E-PL2. I have mine narrowed. The regular-sized AF box can sometimes be a little big with too wide a field of sensitivity if you are trying to place the focus on an exact spot. Often the camera will focus beyond an area like that if there a lot of detail beyond where you want to focus. That's when you use the more narrow AF area. At the smallest size, it's almost a spot AF option.

Thanks Greg! I saw a youtube clip just now that shows how to do it on the e-pl2. Once I press the zoom button to get the smaller box, then I can get it to zoom again to make sure the detail is just where I want it, although I find with my unsteady hand, that doing macros are still hit or miss, but when they hit the results are amazing.
klrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:57 PM   #23

I believe you have to be careful with the size of the focus box as there must be some contrasting shades in order for the camera to focus accurately. The Olys use contrast dectection and not phase detection. Someone please correct me if I erred here.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:08 PM   #24

Thanx mate! This is just what I needed.

I just bought the camera for underwater photography. I was really pissed off I could not get a unique fish at the right focus during last dive. The camera continuously focussed on the background. This feature would have solved my problem.

Another thing I found out when using a large focus area:
Once the camera has focused on something (foreground or background), it keeps focusing on that, even when both foreground and background are in the focus area.

Let's say it focuses on the background, it keeps focussing on the background, no matter how often you press the shutter button half way. To only way to snap it out of this, is to focus on something that is equally distant from the lens as the foreground (object) and that fills the entire focus area. Now that you have the focus almost right for the object, you can point at your object and press the shutter button half way for the finetuning.
scubajorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 4:46 PM   #25

Hello,
will it work the same for video?
With c-af set up on the 14-42 zoom, the autofocus is all over the place.
I don't have my camera with me right now.
Thanks
Alain

Tried it. Even with the smaller rectangle, video c-af, autofocus keep going out of focus even if staying on the subject walking around it.

Last edited by alain93; Jun 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
alain93 is offline   Reply With Quote