Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:33 AM   #11

actually with the HD lens and the silent AF and stepless aperture, it makes the epl-1 a excellent video camera. They shot that HD olympus commercial with the epl-1 and kit lens. So the HD image quality is higher then point and shoots. Think oly is most likely working on their own HD lens as well.

With point and shoots it is allot simpler then with and interchangeable lens system. As those little sensor camera do not really have much shallow dof.

Panny is coming out with the m4/3 HD camcorder, and sony has their aps-c camcorder out with interchangeable lenses too. And both lenses are 800 dollars.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 23, 2010 at 1:36 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:42 PM   #12

A good/fast video lens may solve the C-AF problem, but it won't do anything to improve the video quality which is simply no compare to that of a $100 Zi8 or Zx3, no matter what lens to use. NEX-5's video quality is also thousands better, of course.

I did see that commercial and it did look quite OK. But so far the video from my E-PL1 has been so so. Buying an expensive video lens for a camera of this grade of video performance is not wise.

Again, I think the main reason for the so so VQ is the motion-jpeg compression, nothing to do with any lens. On one hand, m-jpeg allows the same art filters to be used on video, because m-jpeg is nothing but jpeg. On the other hand, the jpeg compression for video is too high to give satisfactory quality. Such high compression is necessary for the smaller file size limited by the writing speed of SD card. What Oly has achieved with this terrible m-jpeg codec is amazing, but still no compare to anything H.264.

I wish the next version of E-PL1 will use H.264 and offer 1080p like Sony Nex-5, then we'll finally have a camera that does both still and motion without compromise. However, this may never happen, because then art filters can't be used for video, which many people love and brag about.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:47 PM   #13

I would have your HD check out, with NR off in daylight. The HD looks very good on my epl-1. It looks nicer then my friends zx3. Much better details.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:46 AM   #14

Yes turning off NR and NF is the first thing for video. Lately I also found that E-PL1 does not like A for video and prefers P.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:44 PM   #15

Took some video in a very colorful kids play ground and very happy with what I'm watching. Although Zi8 still looks more clear, EPL1 has great color and texture, truly Hollywood movie alike.

I think I just need to get used to the blurry-elsewhere of EPL1 type of video over the clear-everywhere (blurry-free) type of Zi8. I especially love the IS in EPL1, works extremely well, video look entirely shake-free, truly Hollywood movie-class. The IS in Zi8 does not work at all and watching its video gets many people sick.

The 14-42 kit lens did a great job chasing kids around. I had to use S-AF instead of C-AF mode, of course. I had to press the shutter button half way down few times though, to re-focus. Overall all video are well focused and I kind of like S-AF now as I can do focusing at my own will.

Last edited by sdcs; Aug 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM.