Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:30 PM   #1

Default Information needed before buying.

I think I may go with the olympus pen e-pl1, I my self am into mostly video and I wanted to know if anyone one here knows the size of the video files the camera creates? Is there a limit as to how much it can record at a time? What size of a memory card would be sufficient to take a good amount of pictures and video? And also what manual controls can be used in video mode?
Any help is much appreciated
Thank You.
nadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:40 AM   #2

hi, nadz welcome to the forum, The video is limited to 2GB files, 4 modes for movies are, P, A, M, & your coice of the 6 art filters. For manual you choose both aperture &shutter speed (1/60-1/2000 sec.). iso can be set manually between 200 &1600. there are 2 recording modes, SD & HD. the image stabilizer automatically comes on when recording a movie. If your really interested you might want to go to Olympus's website and download the manual which might offer you more information. hope this helps.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:13 AM   #3

You will shoot at 720p, it will let you shoot up to 15min at a time, as that is the file format limit. You will want at least a 8gb card, as it will eat up close to 4gb for 15min of video.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:26 PM   #4

The main problem about video is continues-auto-focus (C-AF) which is pretty much useless at least with the included 14-42 lens. This limits video mostly for relatively steady subjects only, such as a cooking show but no way for a soccer game. Not sure whether a faster lens could be good enough for C-AF.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:27 PM   #5

panny 14-140HD lens for video.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:25 PM   #6

How about Oly 14-150?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:38 PM   #7

The HD lens is a video lens, the oly lens is a standard lens. The Video lens is better for video needs.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:52 PM   #8

The HD has built-in OIS, I don't care much about that, especially E-PL1 has that built in the body. The HD is also double heavy. As long as the Oly can focus as fast as the HD, it is all I want.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:00 PM   #9

You just turn of the OIS with the panny lens. I have have panny lens the have OIS, but I just turn it off. But the big advantage of the HD is that it was design for video focus. You can have it continues focus and not get jerky unlike a photo lens that do get jerky if you shoot continuous focus.

It is similar to the sonly e-mount video lens that is for the nex and the nex video camcorder.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:26 AM   #10

I think it is not worth it to buy a video lens for this camera. This camera is simply not for serious video. Even for Youtube kind of stuff, the $100 Zi8 does a way better job. I think the reason is the motion jpeg format, no compare to H.264.

Last edited by sdcs; Aug 23, 2010 at 1:32 AM.