Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Default New to photography

Hello all.

I am a photography noob and new to this forum but I have been lurking around for awhile.I just got my new E-PL1. To be honest my decision to buy this camera was based on feedbacks and shots posted on this forum. Most especially on thread by shoturtle displaying the comparison with the other DSLR model(forgot which one it was).

I would like to get some hardware with it but with budget into consideration, I can only buy one at the moment. I am torn from getting either a VF2 or a nice zoom lens. I would like to do building shots here in NY and a nice zoom lens is nice but the usefulness of the VF2 cannot be ignored either. I would also like to do some macro shots and I read somewhere that a zoom lens would suffice just fine for macro so I am putting on hold buying a macro lens.

So in saying all that, please help me decide which to buy first lol. Should I buy the VF2 and stick with the kit lens for awhile (i dont mind walking closer to get my shots) or get a zoom lens and get those shots really not accessible by walking closer to it?

Last edited by Hyunkie; Aug 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Hyunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:56 AM   #2

Are you comfortable using the back LCD to compose and shoot? The longer the zoom you use, which means more magnification and need for a steady hand, the more steady you need to be able to hold the camera. I need an eyelevel finder for shooting longer lenses and/or shooting closeups. It's just easier for me to steady the camera if I can have it up to my eye, and the finder gives a better view outdoors in open daylight.

The decision for me was easy because of that, and because I already had a set of 4/3rd lenses which just meant me needing to also buy the $150 MMF-2 adaptor to use them on the E-PL1, so I bought the VF-2. Now that I have had a chance to see how good it is, I would not want to use the E-PL1 without it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Greg.

Yes, I am comfortable composing and shooting with the LCD, I haven't yet encountered the problem when shooting when its bright out since I usually go out around dusk. But I know eventually I will have that problem so its better to be prepared than lose a shot opportunity. I do have the problem of keeping the camera steady probably due to the fact that my arms are outstretched when taking a shot. I guess getting the VF-2 would help since it would brace the camera to my body. That's it then, I'll get the VF-2 for now and wait maybe a few to get the zoom lens.

Is this a good price for it? http://store.uniquephoto.com/e/index...zmap=OLD260057
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:26 PM   #4

$249.99 is pretty much the going rate. I saw someone over on the micro 4/3rd's page at DPReview post about it being on sale somewhere for something like $233, so you might shop it at Amazon.com, Adorama, B&H (I paid $249.99 for mine there) and see if anyone has it at a difference price.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:37 PM   #5

Thanks Greg

I checked the prices and pretty much everyone is at 249.99 the difference would be the tax and shipping. I just ordered mine for $257 total so I guess it wasn't that bad. Can't wait to get it
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:46 AM   #6

with the kit lens, the lcd is not a problem, but with the panny 45-200mm. I notice a bit more issues getting the frame the way I wanted before I got the VF2.

You really can not go wrong with the VF2. It is just fantastic.

And I compared it against the T1i allot, as I shoot them side by side allot when my wife and I go shooting together.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:54 AM   #7

PS,

check that you have the latest firmware. You can use the software provide for editing or just a firmware updater at this link
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...a/cameradl.cfm
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:07 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply shoturtle.

The first thing I checked when I got the epl-1 was to check the firmware and it already has the latest one. =)

woot! I'm getting my vf-2 delivered today..woot! I didn't check the store location where I bought it, apparently it was just by New jersey and I am in New York. This is soo cool =)
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:18 PM   #9

congrats on the VF, it is a excellent one
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:09 PM   #10

Congrats & welcome to the forum, the viewfinder really does make life a lot easier with the epl-1.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote