Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:34 PM   #1

Default Any way to save changes to iAuto mode?

Hello,

I prefer iAuto to P, because colors are more saturated and contrast is higher, overall more pleasing output. However, when I make changes to iAuto mode, such as multiple points focus -> single point and noise filter std -> off, the changes won't be saved and they go back after a mode change or power off.

P mode allows me to to save these changes. Any one has figured out how to save changes to iAuto mode, at least for these two things?

The first one was taken in iAuto mode and the rest with P.

sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:03 PM   #2

I think I've found a workaround: use P and set picture mode to iEnhance that iAuto uses.

Nevertheless, I think that iAuto uses multiple-point focus is a very bad choice, resulting into many not focused images we saw in this forum. Enabling noise filter by default is also a very bad one, killing all the details that this great camera is able to offer, especially in video.

Right out of the box, I was almost to return this right back to the store, because it was not even a compare to my $100 Kodak Zi8, at least on the video part (still somewhat). I was mainly focused on video and did not care about still image which I knew was never a problem with Olympus. Never focused, no detail and very soft. But using single-point focus and disabling noise filter/reduction, made all the difference. Now changing picture mode to iEnhance, I don't see anything lack. Well, maybe some better lenses, later.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:20 AM   #3

Actually, the changes on focus mode and noise filter do stay after a power cycle as long as the dial stays at iAuto position, but will go back to the yuk defaults whenever the dial is back from another position such as P. I think this is good enough for now, I just need to stay on iAuto and don't switch, so far this mode does give the best images in most situations as long as focus is single point and noise filter is low.

I still wish Olympus change the default noise filter from standard to low, which others here and I found to be the optimal. The standard filtering level makes the image too soft and kills way too much details, while low-night images look too ugly without noise filter at all. Focus mode is not a big deal as it is much easier to change it, but still defaulting to single point avoids lots of failures.

Last edited by sdcs; Aug 20, 2010 at 1:39 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:27 AM   #4

Great color on the bee shot of the flower, what lens was it.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:36 AM   #5

The kit lens (14-42) that comes with this camera as standard is the only lens I have.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:44 AM   #6

It did a very nice job for a close up shot.

My wife likes the ienhance picture style. It really process the colors well.

Sorry that I really could not comment on iauto, we never use it. Just Av and M are what we shoot in.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:05 AM   #7

It seems to me that iAuto does more than just iEnhance and it does a better job than mine in most cases. But with its default focus mode and noise filter setting, iAuto is a total failure.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:19 AM   #8

It looks about the same as ienhance with iauto and ienhance with the different manual mode. It really depends on the lighting to get the colors. Did you have the NR and other setting changed in P?

These were ienhance in Av. Depending on the lighting the color can really pop.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...my-garden.html
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:04 AM   #9

I turned off noise filter in P but no iEnhance.

Last edited by sdcs; Aug 20, 2010 at 4:49 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:15 PM   #10

Based on the EXIF data, I see nothing that indicates that the first pic was iAuto...perhaps iAuto is nothing but P mode with iEnhance.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote