Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:00 PM   #1

Default Aperture has no effect on video

When I change Aperture from F4.2 to F22, I see very little (if any) difference on its effect on recorded video, while the difference is huge on still images regarding DOF.

What I'm trying to do is this: the 14-42mm lens is not good for C-AF, so I have to rely on S-AF. Therefore I want a good DOF (sharp background) so the video is overall well focused. But so far I have not been able to achieve this by forcing small aperture (large F#).

I wonder if I have a defective unit. Could you please do a test to see if your E-PL1 is the same? I'd really appreciate.

Last edited by sdcs; Aug 21, 2010 at 2:22 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:07 PM   #2

Are you shooting in Iauto or Av? The C-AF is not great, but it is better then dslr's. And if you put on a video lens, it works way better.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:38 PM   #3

I use movie mode. Av mode is the same. In iAuto it won't even start recording if I set background to be the sharpest.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:45 PM   #4

If you shoot in Av, then hit the red video button, you should see a difference in aperture. Av and M are the only modes that give you full control over setting in video. That is what the oly manual says.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:00 PM   #5

Yes I can see the aperture change when I look into the lens, just the recorded video do not show any significant difference - always blurred background. Strange. A and M are the same.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:28 PM   #6

I may just default to like f10 for video. I think I may call oly about that on monday.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:51 AM   #7

I've figured out the details:

1) If you set dial to Av mode and set aperture to, say, F10, then you press the movie record button. This way, F10 is ignored and E-PL1 uses whatever aperture it thinks is the best.

2) If you set the dial to Movie position and set its mode to Av. This way, E-PL1 does really use the aperture you give.

So, this dedicated video button causes more mess than convenience. Basically if you want to do serious video, you should dial to Movie position; or you loose your control.

Interesting, after figured out above, I too found F10 is a good one for video - very good DOF and still indoor video does not look too dark.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:54 AM   #8

actually with m4/3 f8-10 you get very good dof. That is where I shoot most my landscape shots.