Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:16 PM   #11

The sport shots is where you will see the limits of the epl-1. Especially if you are trying to take a burst of the action. C-AF Tr does ok, but this is not the strong point of the pen's. Though the refresh rate is not bad on the vf2, it can be a bit annoying with action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
High, Bob.

These are amazing little cameras. Not sure what I should expect, but just for kicks I'm going to take the E-PL1 and 70-300 to the Rangers game this Wednesday night vs the Twins to see what's possible. Thursday morning I have a date at the dentist to have all four wisdom teeth removed, so if I don't manage to get a few images up before going to bed Wednesday night, it might be the weekend before I get around to posting any of those! Everyone else I know had this done at 14-17 years old, and here I am waiting until 48. Can't wait....
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:49 PM   #12

Quote:
The sport shots is where you will see the limits of the epl-1
.....perhaps if Moto-GP and Valentino Rossi or Nicky Hayden at 200+ MPH but for Josh Hamilton and Elvis Andrus at The Ballpark in Arlington I am betting we see some very good images of baseball action.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:52 PM   #13

Actually I tried plane spotting with the epl-1, it did not preform as well as my t1i honestly. I have also tried some pro soccer game shots in Germany. It was a bit lacking there also. Baseball is a slower sport, so it may do a better job.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you shoot above 1250iso, you will want NR set to standard at low light. It can get noise up there with it set to low.
Yes, but I still prefer seeing some noise than disappeared detail. Maybe I'm few of those who are more allergic to washed-out faces than noise.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:33 PM   #15

Yeah, I do most my NR work with topaz now, As it retains detail better then the incamera NR of both my epl-1 and t1i.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The sport shots is where you will see the limits of the epl-1. Especially if you are trying to take a burst of the action. C-AF Tr does ok, but this is not the strong point of the pen's. Though the refresh rate is not bad on the vf2, it can be a bit annoying with action.
It's definitely not a camera you'll see my taking to a Dallas Stars NHL hockey game. I'll keeping totting the E30 and 50-200 for that type action, but baseball is a sport where you can anticipate action and have the camera ready to pull up in a moment's notice. I won't be tracking any outfielders running down fly balls with the E-PL1, that's for sure, but for double plays, action around the bases and capturing an infielder or two in action, it should work fine. I may also be pulling my hair out by the third inning and never take the E-PL1 to another baseball game after Wednesday. We'll see.

The problem with these type cameras (EVF or back LCD) I have always had is, one good image is always possible. It's the second, third and forth images I can get in quick succession in one play with a DSLR that EVF cameras never have worked well.

Football is one particular sport where often DSLR's are almost never allowed in locally here for college and professional-level games. I've always been forced to carry in little point & shoots where I think I'll be able to get this in with, possibly, the 40-150 Zuiko stuffed in a pocket. If I can get an image like the one below with a Panasonic TZ5 point & shoot where I could barely see the back LCD well enough in the daytime sun to compose anything, the E-PL1 will work just fine. It's not like I have the option to take something better down here in most cases..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 22, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:16 AM   #17

Holly crap, what a shot! And from a P&S of 1/2.33"?
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:39 PM   #18

The little Panasonics can do an excellent job. I had to resort to spot metering to try and keep from blowing the white uniforms as much as possible. The depth of field on those little cameras is so great, I simply was locking the exposure by pressing the release half-way down, then waiting for the play to happen and tried to release the shutter at the height of the action, knowing the screen was then going to blank out and make it almost impossible to capture a second image with any type of framing accuracy.

The depth of field-thing is just crazy with these compacts. You could shoot someone on the near sideline and everyone all the way across the field was also sharp as a tack. The micro system, like the regular 4/3rd's system, would not have that type depth of field and will require a little more thought when being used at a game like this.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:09 PM   #19

Considering how little of a difference there is between NF OFF and STANDARD, I'd say keep it set to STANDARD so when you need to use a very high ISO setting, the camera is good to go. Otherwise, you may forget to change the NF setting and end up with a very noisy image.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Considering how little of a difference there is between NF OFF and STANDARD, I'd say keep it set to STANDARD so when you need to use a very high ISO setting, the camera is good to go. Otherwise, you may forget to change the NF setting and end up with a very noisy image.
That's exactly how I'm doing it going forward when I shoot JPEG. I just don't see detail disappearing when I compare the standard setting to off or low. If so, it must be happening on a micro level.

I've gotten so used to using Auto ISO the past 3-4 years with my DSLR's, and have my E-PL1 set to use anything necessary from 200-1600. Sunday when I was out shooting I noticed after a couple of shots things were looking a little more noisy than I would have thought, so I pulled up the super control panel and saw I had my ISO manually set to 3200! I had been playing with the camera the evening before and forgot to switch it back to Auto ISO.