Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:50 PM   #21

Hm, try a video recording between NF OFF and STD, the difference is huge, all details are totally killed. I was initially very disappointed with E-PL1's video until I turned NF OFF.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:52 PM   #22

When I get around to that some day I'll have lots of questions. Haven't tried video yet with mine and have never really been into video...probably, partially, because I've never really had a camera that was very good at it and I won't spend the money to buy a dedicated video camera.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:48 PM   #23

Good plan. Even though the camera can display all the settings on the LCD, it seems like our eyes simply ignore them. I don't even know how many times I shot with the wrong ISO or aperture settings. I've also shot with incorrect WB setting but that is very obvious so I could fix it right away.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Zig, I saw your image where you got caught changing lenses! The ultimate longest focal lengths are close comparing the 50-200+EC20 to the 70-300+EC14. Do you see much difference in image quality?
Hi Greg,

I do see a significant difference between the 2 combos with the 50-200mm + EC20 routinely coming out on top. I'm not exactly sure if it's the glass being sharper as much as it is the fact that the 50-200mm +EC20 just focuses faster.
So, when I'm trying to get a bird in mid-air, I think the 50-200mm/EC20 snaps into focus a heck of a lot faster.

Surprisingly(to me) are the results when I compare pictures taken of the Ospreys just sitting in the next using both combos. I'm about 80 to 90ft away from the nest. That's a pretty fair distance from the nest. My logic tells me that the 70-300mm/EC14 is doing less work. So, it should be sharper. Yet, when I compare, the 50-200mm/EC20 images are cleaner, have a higher degree of sharpness, etc.

P.S.; good luck with your dental surgery. Having spent a lot of time in the dentist's chair this summer, 'I feel your pain'.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:36 PM   #25

I've been playing a little bit with my 50-200 SWD on the E-PL1 and it, by far, is the worst on that camera in terms of focus speed. Abysmal, really. The best 4/3rd's lens I have used on it as far as focus speed has been the 40-150 f4-5.6, with the 9-18 and 70-300 a close second and third, especially when I use the reduced size focus box. A little disappointing, the 25mm f2.8 is both not very fast focusing and is the noisiest of the lot by quite a large margin....really ugly sounding.

The smallest two-lens combination I have liked working with so far is the 9-18 and 40-150...just light, light, light, but at 150mm, my copy is annoyingly soft along the bottom of the frame when horizontal/on the right-side vertically. The 70-300 is my best overall lens with the E-PL1 and coupled with the EX25 and VF-2 finder is a closeup machine, works really, really well.

Have I said I want the micro 14-150 and 9-18 Zuikos?!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 23, 2010 at 9:03 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:02 PM   #26

Quote:
I've been playing a little bit with my 50-200 SWD on the E-PL1 and it, by far, is the worst on that camera in terms of focus speed. Abysmal, really. The best 4/3rd's lens I have used on it as far as focus speed has been the 40-150 f4-5.6, with the 9-18 and 70-300 a close second and third, especially when I use the reduced size focus box.

The best two-lens combination I have liked working with so far is the 9-18 and 40-150...just light, light, light. The 70-300 and EX25, used with the E-PL1 and VF-2 finder is a closeup machine, works really, really well.
Not surprised that the 70-300mm/EX25 works well with the E-PL1 I would think, given the jpeg engine. Add the inherent sharpness of the 70-300mm & you've got yourself quite a set up.

I'm looking forward to some of your posts using that system.

I am more than a little surprised by your findings using the 50-200mm SWD.
That's not necessarily an equipment set up that I would find myself using a whole lot, given the weight of the lens and sheer size as compared to the E-PL1. Never the less, I would think the output would be sharp indeed.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:37 PM   #27

I just don't think the SWD motors and the contrast detection focus system works well enough together to be a legitimate combination. The 12-60 physically is a decent match for the E-PL1...definitely no worse than using a lens like the 14-35 f2 or 7-14 f4 on a camera like the E510/E520, but the AF action is quite jerky and sounds like it's going to shake itself to pieces trying to find focus.

There are enough designed-for-DSLR Zuikos to make a very serviceable and respectably light E-PL1 outfit, and the less expensive models are the better ones, but I can see why the micro Zuikos would be much better. I prefer having just a two lens outfit so I don't have to think much about what I want to be using and right now I have three...the micro 14-42 (and least used of the three), the 9-18 and 70-300 DSLR lenses.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 23, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:41 AM   #28

I went to BestBuy this past Sunday and took a look at the E-PL1 w/14-42mm lens. I've got to admit that it is a very nice camera to hold. I should have brought along a memory card and taken some photos with it to take home and play with on the Mac.

I will say though, that I find viewing through the lcd screen a bit of an issue. I can see why you prefer to use the viewfinder option.

I'm waiting to see what, if anything, Olympus has in store for release at Photokina in September before I pull the trigger on a new lens or camera body.

Zig

Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:04 PM   #29

Quote:
...40-150...just light, light, light, but at 150mm, my copy is annoyingly soft ...
When I first bought the E510, I chose the two-lens kit. However, I was not happy with the 40-150mm so I went on eBay and bought a copy of the old 40-150mm f3.5 that came with the E500 kit. That lens was made in Japan, bigger and heavier but the optics were much much better. So much so that when I replaced the E510 with the E520, I bought the E520 body only and sold the E510 and the kit 40-150mm with it. Unfortunately, later I made the mistake of selling my Oly gear altogether but that lens was one of my favs. You might want to look for one of those.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:12 PM   #30

Does the older f3.5-4.5 version work with contrast detection focus? I know the current kit lenses received the firmware upgrade to work with image-AF in live view with Olympus DSLR's and the older ones did not.