Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:58 AM   #1

Default Battery life is great!

I have to admit that initially the battery did not last long, had to charge it within a day or so. But, after about 3 times of charging and using cycles, one charge seems last forever!

Bought an extra battery on ebay for few dollars, lets see how this one goes.

BTW, I use an Vivitar Series 1 universal charger bought from OfficeMax. It charges faster, about 1 hour vs. 3.5. It charges all other type batteries too, such as my cell phone's and even AA and AAA and 9V.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:44 AM   #2

The electronic viewfinder VF-2 must draw pretty good on the E-PL1 battery as the battery seems to not last quite as long as it does when used in the E620. I have not yet been in a position of having to shoot large numbers of images at a time but will tonight at a baseball game, so should get a better idea. Part of it I know has probably been me playing with the darn thing to as I have been figuring out the settings and using the finder for reviewing everything. Thankfully I already had the E620 and one spare battery, so I now have three I can start the day out with when I take it out of town with me on a trip.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:51 AM   #3

the ones from ebay actually last longer the the oly one, higher capacity and you get 2 for about 15 dollars. I have gotten about 250 shots in one day with the oly one and over 350 with the aftermarket ones. With the vf2 on all the shots.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo on title
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:21 AM   #4

The one that came with my e-pl1 is 1050 or 1080 mAh; the one from ebay is 1000mAh, pretty much the same. There may be higher ones but this seller is in USA and price is good enough so I did not search further.

I was wondering why this camera is so new but the battery is so old, because only those been in storage long need some cycles to reach their full capacity. Now I know this battery is from an older camera model.

Last edited by sdcs; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:25 AM   #5

mine came with 1050 and the ebay one I got at 1900

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
mine came with 1050 and the ebay on I got at 1900
That about 81% more capacity but you're only getting 40% more images. Something does not compute.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
That about 81% more capacity but you're only getting 40% more images. Something does not compute.
Never trust those insanely high mAh numbers; fake, obvious. This is actually a rule of mine when buying battery on ebay: buy the one with a reasonable mAh mark and make sure the seller is in USA (not HK or China).

Another thing is memory cards, many of them are fake too. For example, a 1GB one is marked as 2GB. When you insert such a card into a computer or camera, it does show as 2GB. But, when you hit the the 1GB boundary, it is a nightmare.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I do not leave it on allot, and shoot hd more with it.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:46 PM   #9

the ones I got are from a US seller, ship to me in 3 days. 2 for 15 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
Never trust those insanely high mAh numbers; fake, obvious. This is actually a rule of mine when buying battery on ebay: buy the one with a reasonable mAh mark and make sure the seller is in USA (not HK or China).

Another thing is memory cards, many of them are fake too. For example, a 1GB one is marked as 2GB. When you insert such a card into a computer or camera, it does show as 2GB. But, when you hit the the 1GB boundary, it is a nightmare.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:07 PM   #10

Yes, IMO memory cards are not worth buying on eBay. Even batteries, they may perform OK out of the box but how well it will hold up the charge after 6 months is the real question. I rather buy Lenmar or CTA from Amazon.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote