Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:33 AM   #1

Default Before the morning....

If I didn't post something tonight, it might be a day or two before I get back around to visiting, so I'll post a few thoughts about this evenings baseball game and how the E-PL1 did.

Great game. Not a lot of action around the bases this evening so most of what I shot was just basic snaps one would normally take at a major league baseball game. The E-PL1 did OK. I'll certainly not mistake it for the E30 in terms of operation or AF speed, especially when using an adapted 4/3rd's lens on the E-PL1 like I did tonight with the 70-300....the specs may say the E-PL1 can do three frames a second, but after being used to the machine gun-like 5 FPS of the E30, it seemed like I was getting something more like 1.5 frames per second.

I can't wait to use the camera with one of the faster focusing micro tele lenses. I have a feeling, used with the Panasonic 45-200 or the Olympus 14-150, my ability to get the focus locked on a moments notice would have been faster than with this 70-300 and adaptor.

I shot RAW+JPEG and made the mistake once the lights took completely over of manually setting a pre-set white balance setting, when the cameras AWB setting was doing a better job. Correcting the few RAW files I worked this evening in ACR the white balance was easy to fix. I'll have to play with the JPEG's a little later, but I will say, from a noise perspective, the JPEG's look awfully impressive.

Like I said, not a lot of action around the bases that I could get at fast enough, but I did manage this little two image set at ISO 2500. These two are heavily cropped to eliminate the first base umpires head at the bottom of the frame. These and all the other shots were RAW files processed in Adobe Camera RAW. There's a little hint of movement in all of them due to the necessarily slower shutter speeds caused from using this slower lens.

Joe Mauer, whiffing at ISO 2500..

Playing a deep second. This was at ISO 1600 before the ambient light levels had dropped, but under a heavy overcast..

Cantu and Kubel at first base...ISO 3200..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 26, 2010 at 2:39 AM.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2010, 6:08 AM   #2

Good Luck with the wisdom teeth today!

I do have a thought relative to AF speed and action shooting. Since the E-PL1 can shoot movie sequences, could you not just shoot a movie of a play being made at a base, then take out one of the frames to be used as a photo?

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:07 AM   #3

Greg, good luck with the wisdom teeth, may you get back to shooting again soon.

Zig I have tried video frame capture on my epl-1 & it is less than impressive, even HD format does not save nearly enough information to make a good pic.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:33 AM   #4

Thanks Charles. I figured it wasn't as easy as I was making it out to be.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Greg.

I think Panny is coming out with a 100-300 m4/3 lens. so that may be something you would be interested in.

They look pretty good considering how far sports is outside of the EPL1's intended purpose
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

I do have a thought relative to AF speed and action shooting. Since the E-PL1 can shoot movie sequences, could you not just shoot a movie of a play being made at a base, then take out one of the frames to be used as a photo?
The video from E-PL1 is not so great to the video standard; capture a frame for still image?

Unlike other recent cameras that use H.264 for video compression, E-PL1 uses the very old motion-jpeg codec. Each frame of M-JPEG is nothing but heavily compressed JPEG image. You all know how horrible an overly compressed jpeg image looks.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

It's been 12 hours since the surgery ended as I type this, and just hit me over the head with an anvil and put me out of my misery....

The entire left side of my face is still completely, 100% numb. I think I have some nerve trauma going on, but if it's still like this by tomorrow afternoon, I'm calling someone! Thankfully, he stitched the holes so no gauze needed, but this is still miserable.

Off to take the next two pills.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:48 PM   #8

For a night game, and higher iso. It did quite well. Better then I had expected.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:51 AM   #9

Yep, I would just need to use it at 1-2 other games to better get my timing down for action shots where I was often a split second too late because I was using it like my E30 DSLR at first, waiting until the image "looked" the way I wanted in the VF-2, which meant by then it was too late to capture it that way because of the slight delay the finder constantly works in, and that's pre-setting the exposure with the AE Lock and pre-focusing, so this was strictly a finder issue.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It's been 12 hours since the surgery ended as I type this, and just hit me over the head with an anvil and put me out of my misery....

The entire left side of my face is still completely, 100% numb. I think I have some nerve trauma going on, but if it's still like this by tomorrow afternoon, I'm calling someone! Thankfully, he stitched the holes so no gauze needed, but this is still miserable.

Off to take the next two pills.
Hi Greg,

Hmmm, I see your last post was at 3:51am. Not sleeping much.......

Hope you get better soon.

Zig