Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:34 PM   #11

The m.zukios 75-300 4.8-6.7 is their video lens, with silent AF and stepless aperture. I would opt for the 40-140 HD from panny over the 75-300, it is a very dark lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 31, 2010 at 5:41 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:40 PM   #12

Here is the press release on the 2 new lenses

World’s Smallest 600mm Telephoto Zoom Lens and 80-300mm Equivalent Lenses Deliver Both Extreme Portability and Optimal HD Movie Recording

Olympus today announces two new lenses to its Micro Four Thirds lens family: the M.ZUIKOŽ DIGITAL ED 75-300 MM F4.8-6.7 and M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150MM F4.0-5.6. Both lenses feature a high-speed, silent autofocus during still shooting and high definition (HD) movie capture. They are the ultimate lenses for zooming in on sporting events, beautiful wildlife and faces from a distance, and because they make barely a whisper when focusing, they won’t call attention to photographer or add unwanted noise to movie recordings. Look what you can do.

Strong Zooms
The M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 with a 35 mm equivalent of 150-600mm is the world’s smallest and lightest 600mm super telephoto lens. Weighing merely 15.17 ounces and measuring 2.76 by 4.57 inches, this lightweight lens delivers excellent portability and outstanding image quality when paired with the award-winning Olympus PENŽ cameras. Previous lenses offering 600mm or more have been too large and heavy for most users to enjoy super telephoto shooting. This lens is smaller and lighter than the comparable ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm f4.8-6.7.

The M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 is extremely light, weighing only 6.7 ounces. With a wide zoom range with a 35mm equivalent to 80-300mm, this lens offers versatility and portability. It’s an affordable complement to the powerfully simple 3x wide-angle zoom lens (M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42 f3.5-5.6) that comes standard with the PEN kit.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:38 PM   #13

I wonder what's the point of these video lenses that do not have OIS. According to the Amazon video I posted above, the in-body IS is digital for video and does not work well.

And if not for video, why I want these instead of the $275 Panasonic 45-200mm?
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:45 PM   #14

it gives the video guy a 600mm reach. Something not seen yet for HD. But I for the photographer, I would go with the 45-200 or the 100-300. Just a better tool for photography
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:55 PM   #15

If the in-body IS cannot handle even 100mm video, imagin 300mm. Video guys better wait for Panasonic to come out an OIS one.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:57 PM   #16

I totally agree, think you hit on one of the downsides of ibis. that maybe why the nex went with in lens IS instead of the great sony ibis.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:23 AM   #17

For still shooting, the 75-300 looks like it would be an excellent lens.

Reading the specs, it looks/sounds to have more exotic glass in it than the DSLR 70-300 and, according to the markings on the barrell, it will AF down to 2.9 feet, which is closer than the 3.2 feet the DSLR version will autofocus down to and it's sure to be way faster and more quiet than the DSLR lens on a micro body. No doubt the focus is internal, which would be a huge upgrade over the 70-300 DSLR lens, too.

Again, for stills, the in-camera image stabilization works just fine at 300mm, but shooting at 300mm you need more stabilization than shooting at 25mm. The higher the magnification the less well any stabilization system will work on its own, so if the operator does not have a good handholding technique, it won't matter whether the stabilization is in the camera or lens because neither would be good enough. The more specialized the lens, the more the person behind the camera has to demonstrate some proficiency using it.

The maximum aperture does not look good but the reality is, I use the 70-300 DSLR version mostly at f8 and would probably do the same with this lens. Depth of field wide open at 300mm, especially up close, is way, way too thin. Any movement by you or the subject after focusing ruins shots when used wide open. Depth of field at any aperture is very shallow at 300mm near the close focus distance like here, shot with the E-PL1 this evening with the DSLR 70-300 at 300mm and f8..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 1, 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:20 AM   #18

Man o man, Greg.
The clarity and the colors on this latest image is just really quite beautiful.
The qualities, that I particularly like, in all the images that you post is the subjects are clear and sharp while the colors are very true and natural i.e. they are not overcooked.

I very much enjoy going to your galleries at Smugmug and viewing the rest of the images.

very very
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Sep 1, 2010 at 7:26 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:51 AM   #19

....Greg, your images are some that cause me to realize just how fortunate I am to have the iMAC 27 and I too spend quite a bit of time looking at certain SmugMug galleries, yours included.

I really need to get back to doing some shooting, it has been 2-months now since I picked up a camera. July 4th we did a family week in Branson, MO at a condo on Lake Taneycomo and I used the E-300 70-300 for some fun time, even got a bird pic of a heron. I got to liking the one lens I never use... your posts tickle my urge, maybe soon.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:31 AM   #20

SDCS,

I was chatting with Hards, and he read that the ibis is not used when in video mode, as it will generate to much heat, causing allot of noise in video mode. That is a very interesting info. And it actually make allot of sense. As there is very little room to dissipate the heat in the small bodies like the nex and pen's. Guess that is why oly has a digit stab on video.