Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:09 AM   #1

Default E-PL1 Lenses

Hi all.

Im a Lumix FZ38 owner, and just got back from a long vacation where carrying around the Lumix was not so easy given size.

Looking at an EPL-1 but cant seem to find any info on lenses.

Any idea where to get lenses from, and prices? I like my zoom on the Panny and would like to have a similar range.
My Flickr
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:33 AM   #2

you can look at the panasonic 45-200mm for the epl-1 it will give you 400mm of reach. also panasonic is going to come out with a 100-300mm so that will give you 600mm of reach. olympus is getting ready to announce 2 more lenses. So there may be a long telephoto lens also.

I have the panasonic 45-200mm and it is a excellent lens, and works great on the epl-1
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:37 AM   #3

You think the FZ38 was too big? To be honest, you are going the wrong way then. The FZ's are positively light weights. Sounds like you need something smaller, and an E-PL1 is not smaller.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:43 AM   #4

The FZ was big as in it was difficult to store in my backpack...given the shape.

I understand the EPL1 is a simple rectangular shape, and the lenses are removable. This should make it easier to store.
My Flickr
dropmyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:45 AM   #5

yes it is pretty easy to pack if you take it apart.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:52 AM   #6

just one thing, my wife travels between 250k miles and 300k miles a year, and she like to take the epl-1 apart as it does pack down pretty easy. It actually pack down into her purse pretty nicely with the 45-200 and epl-1 taken apart. And that is another reason I like the removable VF2 for the same reason, besides being the best evf on the market imho.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Super Moderator

i think if you had trouble with your FZ, you will not like the size of an epl1. it will break apart to store separate, but will still be taking up considerable room and then you must reassemble each time to use.

have you looked in the the so called "travel zooms, or compact superzooms?" such as the Panasonic ZS7 and such? those are pocketable and offer a generous zoom.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:03 PM   #8

A good travel zoom like the ZS7 and HX5V are good super compact options with a 12x zoom. They will fit in a backpack quite easily.

But if you are looking for more control and great image quality, the epl-1 would be a good way to go, and still be less awkward to pack. But like Hards said, it does consumer more room. But when broken down, it is easier to pack.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropmyload View Post
Hi all.

Im a Lumix FZ38 owner, and just got back from a long vacation where carrying around the Lumix was not so easy given size.

Looking at an EPL-1 but cant seem to find any info on lenses....
The EPL1 with the 14-42 won't be much smaller than the FZ38. In fact, I think it will be about the same size but heavier and you won't have the reach unless you carry along a zoom lens (Pana 45-200mm or Zuiko 40-150mm) and then having to deal with lens swap. They are both bigger (and heavier) than the FZ lens and still you won't have the reach.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:33 PM   #10

Yep. To be honest, anyone who thnks an FZ38 is too heavy/bulky/etc, to carry and use needs to be looking at smaller options, not larger-with-more-pieces-that-is-collectively-heavier/bulkier options, and that's what an E-PL1 is. The FZ28/38 turned off with the lens closed is probably as thin as a E-PL1 eith th 14-42 collapsed and the FZ will be lighter....

Heck, I still have an FZ28 (practically same size as the FZ38) at home. I'm going to check it out myself this evening out of sheer morbid curiosity. Of the two, the FZ I have no doubt is much lighter and will definitely take up less space.

I've often thought of the FZ's in many terms, some quite colorful after scratching a pair of glasses up with that stupid hard plastic eyepiece, but hard to carry never was one of those terms!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote