Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:13 AM   #21

imagine what the HD lens on the epl-1 can do!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:33 AM   #22

Now I can explain all the weird things about video if my assumption is true: EPL1's firmware does video downgrading in AF mode for the plastic 14-42mm kit lens.

Why all EP1 and EP2 video samples look much better? Because these PEN models are more expensive, so 1) their firmware do not do video downgrading; or 2) the more expensive metal kit lens that comes with them is not subjected to downgrading.

Why there are some EPL1's samples taken by the kit lens do look good? Because they were taken in MF mode. As long as camera is not in AF mode, the firmware does not do downgrading.

Why those EPL1 samples without using the plastic 14-42mm lens look so much better? Because lenses other than the plastic 14-42 are not subjected to video downgrading.

Normally video is less demanding on lens than stills (except fast and quiet AF), then why the kit lens takes horrible video but can take great stills? Because downgrading happens only in video mode.

Why Olympus did the EPL1 commercial with an EPL1? Because they knew we'd find out the bad video with the kit lens and that commercial would defeat our complain. If you watch that behind-story video, you can see huge MF lenses were used to shoot the commercial video.

As long as focus is accurately done, it does not matter whether you achieved that with AF or MF, then Why MF gives better video? Because the firmware does downgrading once it sees the camera is set to AF mode (and the lens is a plastic 14-42 kit lens).

Why EPL1, with better IQ and built-in flash, can be sold much cheaper than EP1 and EP2? Because you have to spend $500 more on a video lens.

I'm so glad that I gave the $10 Vivitar lens a chance, otherwise I would have never gone so much into MF and thus figured out such a mess.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:53 AM   #23

That may be why I really do not notice the problems you were showing us. I have the metal plate lens for the epl-1. And next to the AF not working that great. The images looked pretty good to me.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:57 PM   #24

I did some tests with the kit lens. Even with MF mode, video is still not nearly as sharp and detailed as the old Vivitar. The only M4/3 lens worth my consideration is the Panasonic 45-200mm, but I haven't seen any samples from an EPL1 and min 45mm is a little too long. I'm buying an old 28-135mm f2.8-3.8 for $30 or so, hopefully it'll be at least as sharp and detailed as this Vivitar and I do think so as it is much faster.

Anyway I'm now very happy because in the worst case I can always just swap on this Vivitar and get fantastic video. This Vivitar has produced the very best video from EPL1 I've seen so far, even better than the EPL1 commercial, except the one taken with a Nikon 85mm f1.8 lens.

[Another thought]When everything is set to automatic, maybe the camera's processor no longer have adequate speed to handle 720p video therefore degrading?

Last edited by sdcs; Sep 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:41 AM   #25

Hi,

With most (native) lenses the distortion is corrected digitally in the camera. Maybe this is why the video quality suffers with these lenses, not enough processing power left?

See here: http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2010/09...orrection.html

Daan

Last edited by daanh; Oct 1, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
daanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daanh View Post
Hi,

With most (native) lenses the distortion is corrected digitally in the camera. Maybe this is why the video quality suffers with these lenses, not enough processing power left?

See here: http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2010/09...orrection.html

Daan
Thanks for the link Daan. I was poking at some of the RAW images from my camera last night and was wondering why they were bigger then the resulting jpegs (I have been shooting RAW+jpeg).
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:42 PM   #27

That's one of my thoughts. After more mess around with the kit lens and video, I've made some progress. The trick is:

1) Dial to movie mode. As I said before, if you dial to other modes, it'll always go to P mode once once you press the record button.

2) Press the up button and reduce exposure to -0.3 to -0.7. This is the key to get much more pleasing colors, contrast and overall much more pleasing video.

3) When outdoor, use A mode and don't let f numbers to go over 8. If you use P mode, this f number may go very high and video does not like that.

I think exposure control is not so optimized for the kit lens and a little less exposure somehow gives a good difference. If you don't reduce exposure, outdoor can be easily washed out.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:51 PM   #28

If you are in A mode and start recording a video, it stays in A mode.

By the way, I found it important to lock the exposure before recording starts, because you get strange color and exposure shifts during your movie. I assigned this function to the Fn button.

Daan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
That's one of my thoughts. After more mess around with the kit lens and video, I've made some progress. The trick is:

1) Dial to movie mode. As I said before, if you dial to other modes, it'll always go to P mode once once you press the record button.

2) Press the up button and reduce exposure to -0.3 to -0.7. This is the key to get much more pleasing colors, contrast and overall much more pleasing video.

3) When outdoor, use A mode and don't let f numbers to go over 8. If you use P mode, this f number may go very high and video does not like that.

I think exposure control is not so optimized for the kit lens and a little less exposure somehow gives a good difference. If you don't reduce exposure, outdoor can be easily washed out.
daanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by daanh View Post
If you are in A mode and start recording a video, it stays in A mode.
Daan
No, at least not on my EPL1. Try dial to A mode and f22 in a dark room, record; then try dial to Movie mode, select A and f22. You'll see day and night result, because even if dial is at A position video will still be recorded with an auto f number.

These are totally different:

1) Dial to A mode, then press record button;
2) Dial to Movie mode, select A, then press record button.

The following images are both captured from recorded video. The second one is still not so satisfactory, but the first one is simply too horrible. You can see how terrible EPL1's video can be sometimes, I still don't know when this happens, but seems mostly under very strong light. Limiting f number and reducing exposure a little bit seems do a good job so far.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 5, 2010 at 5:04 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:03 AM   #30

Vivitar 70-210mm (@70mm) vs. Kit 14-42mm (@42mm), both f8, captured from recorded video. Can different lenses render colors so differently? Or EPL1's firmware does "corrections" so differently for different lenses?

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 5, 2010 at 5:13 AM.