Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:43 PM   #1

Default E-PL1 Video Problems

Hi all - I am having a problem with video image while zooming the lens. The picture has a flicker represented by darker horizontal banding that flash in various areas of the screen when I zoom the lens on the camera. Not picked up by stills, of course. The flicker happens when zooming the lens, regardless of whether exposure or focus are locked or auto. You can see it when simply zooming the lens in or out while looking at the LCD screen. I have had the camera into Olympus twice now and they have replaced the body on the last return (not sure about the lens at this point).

I don't do a lot of zooming while filming motion, but it would be nice to have when needed. Does anyone else out there have the same issue? The lens is the standard 14-42 kit lens. Thanks in advance for your input.
photophreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:02 PM   #2

Do you have the problem when you zoom, or when you try to refocus after you zoom?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:44 PM   #3

What are you aiming at? Check your lights. If you shoot at a computer screen, for example, you get something like this during focusing/zooming and in the final video and still image:
Attached Images

sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:14 PM   #4

Thanks for replying. I have the problem when I zoom, period. It is independent of what the camera is aimed at, or whether the camera is trying to focus or not. It is easy to see the problem just by zooming the lens in and out and looking at the LCD. There is a flickering/banding effect in the picture as I zoom.

I just returned from a local dealer here, and it appears that the E-PL1 they have on display does the same thing, so I think the problem may be more widespread than just mine. I'd just like to get a feel for whether others have the same thing going on, and how they deal with it. Do I need to avoid using zoom altogether when shooting video? To me the footage it produces when zooming is totally unacceptable with this annoying flickering/banding going on.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:20 PM   #5

If you were shooting wide open, it could be the camera stoping down from 3.5-5.6 as you zoom. The HD lenses on the market resolves this issue with stepless aperture. That is the only thing I can think of that is causing the flicker.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:21 PM   #6

PS, try stopping the camera to 5.6 then shoot a video clip and zoom out. I just do not have my camera with me, as my wife took it on a trip today.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:52 PM   #7

Shoturtle, you bring up a good point, but I tried locking in up at 5.6, and there is no difference. Let me know what yours does when you get it back. Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:10 AM   #8

Mine blinks slightly while zooming, but no any banding effect. I think the actual aperture of stepped lenses vary from all way in to out.

Last edited by sdcs; Sep 3, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote