Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:47 PM   #1

Default Is the EPL-1 there right camera for me?

From the Canon S5is, I was originally planning to upgrade to a DSLR until someone suggested this camera. I got attracted to its smaller size and the high ISO capability.

I'd like to ask a few questions from users here before I plunge in:

1. My old camera gets very noisy at ISO 400 & up and I had to rely on an external flash to get a decent photo indoors even with moderate lighting. Its built-in flash has a very slow recycle time so it's almost useless. Will I be able to take decent photos without flash with the E-pl1 camera by boosting the ISO? How often do you find yourselves using the internal flash? How long is the recycle time? I will be taking photos of my kids indoors with moderate lighting.

2. Will the kit lens give decent photos? How does the kit lens fare against point and shoot cameras with fixed lens?

3. Is the size difference between this camera and a small DSLR substantial enough?

4. Is this a better choice compared to the LX5?

Thanks
redisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:43 AM   #2

The epl-1 is good to 2000iso, and with some noise editing software, you can use 3200iso. from 100-1600iso, it has better noise control and image quality then then new sony dslr and nex 5. It is about 1600 that the larger sensor takes the lead.

The kit lens is pretty good, not great for video. But very good for photos.

I have a can t1i and the epl-1. And I find I use the epl-1 allot more then the T1i. It is just easier to travel with even with all 4 of my lenses.

Compare to the lx5, it will have much better IQ and better low light performance. And will give you more options with lenses.

Here is couple of shots of the epl-1 at 2000iso, one indoor one outdoor.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 8, 2010 at 2:21 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:35 AM   #3

PS,

I rarely use the pop up flash, I just do not care for flash wash that much. But when I do, I can use my finger to make the epl-1's flash bounce off a low ceiling. About 8 ft, and it works fine.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:36 AM   #4

Indoors without flash can be tough due to mixed lighting sources. Do you manually dial in an appropriate white balance or shoot RAW and fix it in a converter? Most auto white balance systems do not do a good job of getting indoor lighting right and the E-PL1 is no different.

The kit lens is fairly slow at f3.5-5.6 and the 42mm end wide open at f5.6 is not particularly sharp across the frame so I can see problems if you have the camera jacked up to ISO 1600 and cannot get a faster shutter speed than 1/30 or 1/50 second due to the slow lens, not knowing how bright or low "moderate" lighting is where you shoot. Outdoors the kit lens is excellent. The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is a lens you probably want to eventually own if you like doing indoor shots without flash.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Super Moderator

As long as you are not shooting some sports or action.

The EPL1 will do everything an entry dslr will do in a smaller package. Image quality is up there with the very best aps-c dslrs and the kit lens is just as good as the kit lenses on the entry level dslrs.

But again all of the same rules that apply to dslrs apply here to. to get the most out of it for a given situation you have to have the right lens.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:16 PM   #6

The EPL1 BI flash is very weak and will under expose even if the subject is only 4-5 feet away from the camera. So, the way I compensate for it, I have exposure (+/- with flash) turned ON and set the exposure to +0.3 or +0.7. What that does, it adds the exposure compensation to the flash output increasing its range. I also increase the flash output by +0.3 or +0.7 depending on the distance between the camera and the subject and set the ISO to 400.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:01 PM   #7

On the flash issue, I have been using it off and on for about 6 months. Your range with it is about 8-10ft, pretty similar to most dslr with the built in flash. But unlike a dslr flash you can bounce it off a 8ft ceiling.

All of these indoor shots where taken with the kit lens and built in flash. Between 6-10ft away.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...m-germany.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 8, 2010 at 8:05 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:12 PM   #8

Most of those images look pretty dark to me. Only the very front of the passenger seat on the green BMW is somewhat illuminated. The bike itself and everything in the back is in the dark; the DKW shot is even worse considering how close you appear to be to the subject. You can't seen the details (unless of course, my monitor is way way off). The red/white scooter is well lit but the bikes in the background are in the dark.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:18 PM   #9

actually the lighting was actually brighter then the actually lighting inside. I also pick a slower fstop to try to lessen the effects of the flash wash. I also like to under expose with a flash intentionally.